Network Management

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AP clients don't seem to switch between APs

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  AP clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:39 PM

Hello,

We have about a dozen APs (225's) in a cluster.  I notice the clients don't always seem to hop even when very far from the first AP they connected to and there are a few much closer.   Is there any setting I should change to help facilitate this?    We have some people that say they still show as connected but can't seem to do anything unless they disconnect and reconnect.

#AP225

• 2.  RE: AP clients don't seem to switch between APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:40 PM
    Do you have ClientMatch enabled?

Are the lower data rates disabled?

Do you have your max power capped around 15-18?

Sent from Mail on Surface Pro 4

• 3.  RE: AP clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:50 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply - Client Match is disabled.

I'm not sure the answer to the other questions

It says band Steer prefer 5Ghz

Airtime fairness - fair access

SLB - Channel

Min Transmit - 18

Max Transmit - MAX

CLient aware enabled

Scanneing Enabled

Wide Channel Bands 5GHz

80MHz Support enabled

• 4.  RE: AP clients don't seem to switch between APs
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 26, 2015 07:56 PM
    These answers may vary depending on your deployment (you should work with your Aruba partner).

- Disable 80 MHz channels

- Enable ClientMatch

- Try using Min 12 and Max 18 for your power levels

- Remove data and basic rates below 12

Sent from Mail for Surface Pro 4

• 5.  RE: AP clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted Oct 26, 2015 08:10 PM

Thanks - I'll make these changes tonight after hours.

• 6.  RE: AP clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted Oct 27, 2015 12:10 AM

Sorry - where do I go for "Remove data and basic rates below 12"?   I see a bandwidth contract under the SSID and I set the downstream and upstream kbps with an option of per user on that

• 7.  RE: AP clients don't seem to switch between APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2015 05:39 AM

Boe,

The rates are in the SSID profile, under the Virtual AP.  Please see here on how to configure it to remove lower rates:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/High-density-disable-low-data-rates-or-not/m-p/150890/highlight/true#M31991

The power, by far is the most significant thing that affects whether or not clients will roam.  Starting with the MAX-TX-Power at 18 is a good practice, but as long as you have good density/coverage, you can lower your max-tx-power in your ARM profile to 15 if your clients are still having problems roaming.

Not all clients are perfect, do not do not expect clients to roam from access point to access point when you walk by them, but you should not have a client that is still associated to an access point 3 rooms down when it is much closer to another access point.

• 8.  RE: AP clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted Oct 27, 2015 09:31 AM

Thanks - I read through that last night and maybe I'm just not looking in the right place as I don't see anything that looks like that on mine.

I"m going to the cluster, in the top right I have Security, Roles, - select the SSID, highlight the Access rules, edit, select the drop down, and I have bandwidth contract - where I can set downstream and upstream kbps and you enter a number - no checkboxes.    I don't see anything where you click on checkboxes for data rates.   

Again I could be going to completely the wrong area but I can't think of another place to get to the ssid.

• 9.  RE: AP clients don't seem to switch between APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2015 09:45 AM
    h, you're using Instant. (Next time be sure to post in the Instant forum).

You can find the data rates on the first screen when editing an SSID at the bottom left. Change the low number to 12 for both.

• 10.  RE: AP clients don't seem to switch between APs

Posted Oct 27, 2015 09:58 AM

Thanks!  I did not know there was a difference!

• 11.  RE: AP clients don't seem to switch between APs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2015 10:03 AM
    Ah, you're using Instant. (Next time be sure to post in the Instant forum).

You can find the data rates on the first screen when editing an SSID at the bottom left. Change the low number to 12 for both.

Thanks,
    Tim