Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

ARP accross vlans?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  ARP accross vlans?

Posted Feb 16, 2018 05:51 PM

Hello.

I have an S2500 as my router and use S1500 network switches. I have several domain vlans setup and one wireless guest vlan. The guest vlan does not use the domains dhcp server for addresses, or DNS. The problem is that the machine names of the computers in the domain vlans can be seen using angry ip scanner from the guest vlan, and vice versa. Can someone suggest how I can prevent the guest vlan from seeing them? I assume it must be ARP.

• 2.  RE: ARP accross vlans?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2018 07:58 PM

Is the guest VLAN wired or wireless?

• 3.  RE: ARP accross vlans?

Posted Feb 16, 2018 08:10 PM
    it is wireless

#AirheadsMobile

• 4.  RE: ARP accross vlans?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 16, 2018 09:14 PM

Are you blocking traffic to internal subnets?

• 5.  RE: ARP accross vlans?

Posted Feb 17, 2018 08:39 PM
    the AP's do have an ip firewall and I have all of the subnets' traffic to, and from them, prevented. I even have inter-station traffic disabled.

#AirheadsMobile

• 6.  RE: ARP accross vlans?

Posted Feb 19, 2018 07:37 AM

Do you only want to block the name resolution or all of the traffic to the internal network?

You should be able to block the traffic on your gateway (Firewall / Router).

• 7.  RE: ARP accross vlans?
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 23, 2018 06:57 PM

I apologize. I was mistaken. 

It turned out not to be ARP, as I was led to beleive.

The info that was coming across was from Reverse DNS. Turns out that I did have the DHCP server handing out DNS from an interal server.

I pointed the guest wvLan subnets to an external DNS provider and now the IP scanners pick up nothing.

I guess, it's amateur hour over here.

I really appreciate you taking the time to assist.