Network Management

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Adding more info to Airwave alert email%3F

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Adding more info to Airwave alert email%3F

Posted Oct 13, 2016 11:04 AM

Hi All,

Is there a way to edit the "script" that generates the info for an Airwave alert email?

Lets say we have an Airwave environment that is massive, but poorly organized in terms of groups and folder structures.

The alert message looks like the following:

Subject: AMP Alert: Device Down (AP1)

Device Down: Device Type is Access Point and Minutes Down Threshold >= 5 minutes
    Severity: Normal
    Time: Thu Oct 13 10:33:21 2016

Additional Info: Device Type is Access Point and Minutes Down Threshold >= 5 minutes
    Group: Access Points
    Folder: Northeast

Is there some file/script/something I can edit that will "tell" Airwave to gather more info about this device and put that info in the email? The end goal is to have the customer not need to log into Airwave to find more info about this device. Given that the AP name is "AP1" it would be helpful to include maybe the controller name or IP so they can go directly to that controller to investigate.

Thanks in advance!

• 2.  RE: Adding more info to Airwave alert email%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 13, 2016 11:15 AM

Honestly, the best way this would work is if the person clicks on the link that brings the person to Airwave, along with more information about the device, and optionally a single click to login to the controller:

controller.png

You can even run commands on the controller from that same page:

controller-commands.png

Getting back to your question, I am not sure you can send additional information in an alert.   Getting to the device from the email and being able to run commands and look at historical data in a single click is the idea of Airwave.

• 3.  RE: Adding more info to Airwave alert email%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 18, 2016 11:48 AM

The best usage is to have a good folder/group scheme so that the folder/group name in the alert make sense.  In the absence of that, you might want to try using the notes field in the alert triggers that you can manually update.  But there's currently no customization as to the amount of info the alerts give you.  What kind of added details are you looking for?  It may be that filing a feature request is the way to go.  But addressing the folder/group scheme might be quicker than waiting on a feature request sometimes.

• 4.  RE: Adding more info to Airwave alert email%3F

Posted Oct 19, 2016 05:57 PM

If an AP goes down, the customer would like the alert email to contain info about the controller reporting the issue. Currently, their folder structure does not help in that case.

Thanks for the reply!

• 5.  RE: Adding more info to Airwave alert email%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2016 12:01 PM

Got it.  I've filed this as DE27051 to see if I can sneak it in as a defect fix, but it's really a feature request.

How many controllers are being monitored by AMP?  Any workaround would require fixing either the folder or group organization.  The implementation would require creating a group or folder for each of the controllers, then sorting the APs downstream from the controller into the same group or folder.  Once that's done, it'd be possible to create a trigger per group or folder and then add the controller info into the Notes field.  This workaround is easier if there's like 10 controllers, but as you climb to 50+ controllers - it becomes more of a pain point again.

• 6.  RE: Adding more info to Airwave alert email%3F

Posted Oct 20, 2016 12:12 PM

haha, yeaaa, we're talking 3000+ controllers. They currently have it organized in that way, but creating alerts tailored to each specific site would take weeks.  

When creating the alert for, lets say, AP Down, we select the Top folder to include every AP known to AMP. 

The customer's specific request is "A link to the controller the AP is on so I can log right into the GUI"

I agree that is more of a feature request. Just wondering if the underlying code/script for this AMP feature is editable. 

Thanks again for your help!

• 7.  RE: Adding more info to Airwave alert email%3F

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 20, 2016 12:23 PM

Unfortunately, the alert code isn't open to customization via scripts.  So we'll have to wait and see how the trigger defect progresses.  I would also suggest taking this on through the HPE/Aruba sales contacts as a formal RFE, while also filing into the ideas portal on the support site.  This will at least help ensure that it gets the most visibility.