Network Management

Re: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

ot that problem as well. After 8.2.4.x is installed but the server is not rebooted. Some things work, some does not.

Really annoying.

Occasional Contributor I

Just to make a suggestion:

Here at work we have devices where root user is disabled by default, however, those devices have a command sequence that allows root access to be enabled temporarily specifically for advanced troubleshooting.  Once the session is over, root user is again disabled.

Menu option > Advanced Troubleshooting > CLI prompt to enter command to enable troubleshooting (e.g. root-login enable) > Non-root user prompt > su commands.

It's not perfect, but it has saved a lot of headaches being able to ping, traceroute, snmp walk, etc. among other things.

Highlighted
New Contributor

At what version level is it expected that a reasonable level of functionality will be returned?   It's clear that I should downgrade to 8.3.x until such time as the product is usable again.

We cannot have TAC make changes.  Remote access is simply not allowed and never will be, so basics such as networking, network troubleshooting, routing, backup/restore to/from cifs shares, vmware mgmt tools, upgrading (we do not have mac/linux and your current solution does not work even with bitvise, and doesn't work from HPE), time settings, etal, MUST BE WORKING PROPERLY before we can move to your product.   

You should never have removed the CLI without ensuring that working functionality was in place, or you should immediately provide a sudo alternative as suggested by many other posters. 

Frequent Contributor I

I'm in a situation where TAC wants to upgrade AMP to resolve an issue. It is a tradeoff between a potential fix and losing CLI access or staying at this version and continue to deal with the issue. AMP will stay where it is for now.

Occasional Contributor I

You can re-add root access by following the steps given before. While not
suggested it can work for you.

--

Eric Pribish

NOC DIRM SE (OC-382) | System Engineer

Work: (303) 236-0571 | epribish@blm.gov

Building 53, Denver Federal Center, PO Box 25047, Denver, CO 80225

DOI/BLM Contractor | Team ASRC Federal Vistronix | *Customer-Focused.
Operationally Excellent.*
Super Contributor I

I'd like to add my vote to completely dispose of this new menu system and restore a normal UNIX CLI.

You are making work for all of us to work around this trash and we are very busy as it is.  We'll be bypass it by any means necessary at the point where we are forced to go up to 8.2.4 and will avoid going up to 8.2.4 for as long as possible.

If we have to immediately respond to a security issue, and cannot because of the CLI, telling us to enter a long, drawn out TAC process is not an acceptable solution.

You will never cover all the use cases for a CLI with your prefab menu system, simply because CLI on UNIX systems is there to help you deal with the unexpected and the unforseen.  You are just making a huge mess.

Occasional Contributor I

The "no root CLI" paradigm is fine if everything works the first time.

I was in study and lab mode. I set up VMWare Workstation Player 12 for the first time, and imported the 8.2.4.1 OVA version of AirWave. As typical for a first time exercise, there was a glitch. No web interface, and no way to troubleshoot.

I dropped back to 8.2.3.1 and repeated. Same problem, except now I could troubleshoot. From the CLI, I repeated the installation using ./install/amp-install. I pressed ctrl-F9 to see detail of the install process. I then pressed ctrl-F1 to return to the main view. It told me that I needed a static IP. More research showed me that I needed to do that under VMWare, not by using Windows Control Panel to set up a static IP at the physical network interface.

If you don't provide root access to the user for the new AirWave builds, you should support a larger list of commands. It would be great to see what services are running, network status, memory and processor usage, etc. It would also be great to be able to launch the installer, as I did.

Contributor I

And here I am opening a TAC case because I can no longer self diagnose basic ssh connectivity issues between Airwave and Aruba controllers.

I'm getting tired of talking to TAC. Everytime I have to spend hours engaging TAC something dies inside of me. And I @#$@#ing refuse to go through the long laundry list of information, screenshots, and tarballs they ALWAYS ask for and never look at. 

My new policy is I don't answer questions without it being a scheduled remote access session and tying up a tech's time for the entire process. HPE can eat the labor cost of their terrible product design decisions.

New Contributor

Before make a major change like this you guys need to deploy and improve a replacement CLI like CPPM CLI - Better than nothing!

Well guys.. HPE killed our beloved Aruba Networks

Like many Aruba products these days, it´s also plagued by bugs. Even the reset admin password does not work. And updating Airwave? How the hell ? Nothing works. The Upload file does not work. Downloading from Aruba takes forever (literally 15% in 1H). 

Agree! 

Key thing! you guys missed a way to execute the command root;make

Aruba networks certified Instructor - IAW, SWDI, CPPM, Airwave
New Contributor

I didn't see this mentioned so I'll share my issue with the lack of a CLI.  We run AirWave on a Hyper-V server.  When the Hyper-V server was upgraded the virtual switch was deleted.  Now AirWave cannot find eth0.  So I have no network connectivity and no way to fix it.  Sadly, the Aruba support tech didn't seem to understand that SSH and the Support Connection require a working network interface.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: