Network Management

Occasional Contributor I

Re: AirWave 8.2.4 NO CLI

Hi @ all,

i am new at Airwave. i will miss the cli, too. We use Redhat here, so my first idea was to install Airwave to one of our RHEL Systems. So i could use our standard backup tool HP Data Protector. 

i think, it should be my decision which Linux, i will use for Airwave. With Airwave on our RHEL i would have a perfect integrated Airwave System. 

Greetings 

Christian

PS: Sorry, no english speaker

MVP

Changing sides of the fence - I completely agree that remote root access is a terrible security risk. I prefer the model where a general user login with sudo permissions can greatly improve security of the system.

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
Occasional Contributor I

I forgot one point: Icinga!

Occasional Contributor II

We have just (right now) upgraded to 8.2.4 and the upgrade changed the system timezone, without asking.  I now have no command line access to set the timezone back.  All the inbuilt system logs now show the time as EDT, which does not help us as we are half way around the world from EDT!!

If you are exactly half way the other side of the world, just swap the AM/PM ;-)

No, seriously, you should contact Aruba TAC and they can make the change in time-zone for you (I had my timezone changed too)

Changing the time-zone is mentioned on page 3 of this post:

US16673 : option to update timezone.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Aruba Employee

Hi Ross,

Please open TAC ticket to set back to proper timezone. We dont have option to set the timezone from GUI.

Regards,

Pavan

Occasional Contributor I

You can always just re-install the server.  There is an option for setting the timezone when you install the server.

Aruba Employee

Fred,

There is no need to re-install the server to just change the timezone, when we have option to set timezone and date from CLI (just that need to take TAC support now in 8.2.4, since root CLI is deprecated ).

Regards,

Pavan

Occasional Contributor I

Security is good risk for removing the shell, but the issue i see around everywhere is companies asking the CISO or people in management and not the technically people who can actually work the issue out to make it less of a concern. Stop asking the management and taking their feedback as concerns when they 1. don't have the technical skills to understand the concern and 2. don't involve the technical people with the skills

Multiple things I miss:

Able to view all error logs of the system

Able to grep the traps and syslogging information (lets all admit it sucks on the page when you are looking for one log)

Able to customize the look/branding of the system

Able to complete certian task without having to call TAC

Also, being where I work and giving a Remote Support person the ablity to access and internal system and not over-watching their action is a bigger security risk than leaving the shell. BTW this is Government Work I do.

Occasional Contributor II

I do have to agree with @fredw his post here though. This could have been made optional as an added security feature. Or another solution would have been to implement two factor authentication. 

The Airwave upgrade procedure already requires your Aruba credentials to download images, something similar could have been implemented for root access. 

It kinda makes me wondor if this was done to prevent customers from screwing things up via the CLI. You can easily mess up your entire Airwave installation with 1 wrong command after all.

That being said, if Aruba manages to add the options listed here in 8.2.5, the closed shell should become a lot more practical already. 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: