Network Management

Contributor I

AirWave 8.2.5: Can I control disk space used by AW server?

Hi,

I'm new to AW.  Installed it as a VM on my Dell PE T610 server, which has 4 other Windows VMs running.  I allocated 8GB RAM, but only 40GB disk space when I created my AW VM.  It has already consumed the entire 40GB!  Yet I only have 10 devices (1 AP) and 12 clients.  I can't fathom how so much space could get used up so quickly in the 60 days sent I installed AW.  Are there tricks to reduce disk usage?  Maybe I can change the default polling interval that SNMP devices get polled?  Are there any stats as to how much data a single poll of 1 SNMP device consumes?

Are there any system reports that might show how the AW server disk space is being consumed?

TIA,

Mike

Re: AirWave 8.2.5: Can I control disk space used by AW server?

Mike,

40GB is by far too low. I run a lab server with 80GB and it has 60GB in use. Realize that Airwave stores a lot of data, especially if you have AMON turned on and send AppRF data.

You can see the disk usage in System -> Performance -> (scroll down) -> Disk Space. Which does not tell where the data goes in, but it is likely to be in the database, in upgrade files, and in backups. You can clean up some of those via the AMPCLI Delete File option.

I would create a backup, spin up a new Airwave with more disk space, and restore the backup there.

Use the Airwave Sizing Calculator in ASE to get an estimate, which even sizes to 113GB disk for my lab size.

--
If you have urgent issues, please contact your Aruba partner or Aruba TAC (click for contact details).
Contributor I

Thanks for the info.  I'm really surprised that the database gets so big for such a small amount of devices & clients.  I have Kaseya and Labtech servers accumulating data, including Windows event logs, for hundreds of computers and the databases are very small in comparison to AW.

I wonder if I could just edit the VM's disk size under ESXi4.1?  First I'd shut down the VM, then do the edit.  Will the Linux os see the added disk space?

Highlighted

Go to AMP Setup --> General --> Historical Data Retention.

Reduce the retention times down.  If I remember correctly reducing the 'client data retention interval' will have the biggest effect.  You should see this after the overnight maintenance, or you could change that to run in 10 mins time to get a more immediate cleanup.

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACCX #817, ACMP, ACMX #294

If you go to System -> Performance, there's a widget on there (about 3/4 of the way down under Database Statistics) that shows the largest db tables.  Most likely the AppRF (PEF) and device config tables are usually among the heavy db space consuming tables.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Contributor I

Hmmm, maybe I don't have a disk space issue, as here is what AW's System->Performance->Disk Space shows about my 40GB.  I don't pretend to understand Linux (CentOS), but I'm guessing the graph tells me my disk usage is 45.9%?

AW-Disk.jpg

Contributor I

Oddly, I still keep seeing this on the AW console, indicating out of memory errors.  What to do?  I have allocated 8GB RAM as per the minimum specs...AW-OutofMem.jpg

Looks like it's not your disk space that's full, it's the RAM that's being fully utilized.  OOMkiller comes into play when there's a process that's starved for memory.  Do you have a capture of the top portion of the System -> Performance page?  I'm interest in seeing how the RAM was setup on install.  You may have selected 8GB RAM, but it's not helpful if somehow the OS decided to put 4GB of it allocated to swap.

Also, since it's hitting OOMkiller - opening a support case to have someone take a closer look may help.  I'd start by looking at the low_level_service_watcher, service_watcher, kernel, and messages logs.

Rob Gin
Contributor I

Below is the Performance info.  Indeed it does list 4GB swap space.  I don't recall ever making any choices about that.  How/where does one configure that?

AW-Performance.jpg

It happens during the OS install when installing from the AMP ISO - you can get into the advanced disk settings when it does the disk selection.  The OVA install doesn't give any option.

Rob Gin
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: