Network Management

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave AppRF is dispaying IP address instead of user name

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AirWave AppRF is dispaying IP address instead of user name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2018 08:47 AM

Hello all We are using an Aruba controller with 6.5, AirWave 8.2.4 and ClearPass as authentication server. Our AirWave system is displaying the web reputations and web categories correctly.

AV_Stats.JPG

The only problem is, that sometimes Users in the statistics are showing up with the IP-Address instead with the authenticated user name. Example: We have a user CAP02. The User connects in to the WLAN with EAP-PEAP/MSCHAPv2, is getting authenticated by ClearPass and the Internet role is returned to the controller. In AirWave AppRF statistics the User is logged as CAP02. Unfortunately after some time the user is showing up with the IP-Address 10.10.1.11 (see picture).

AV_Stats2.JPG

Does anybody know from where this behavior comes? Thanks for any hints, Marcello

• 2.  RE: AirWave AppRF is dispaying IP address instead of user name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2018 09:14 AM

This should be opened as a support case so that support can collect the necessary logs and data captures.

My guess is that the initial data feed for AppRF is preceeding the client info message.  And then post processing updates the username to IP at some point.  But I can't be sure without seeing the qlog capture of the amon topics along with the logs.

• 3.  RE: AirWave AppRF is dispaying IP address instead of user name
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2018 10:57 AM
    Thanks Rob for the answer. Will open a support case for that. Kind regards Marcello

• 4.  RE: AirWave AppRF is dispaying IP address instead of user name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 01, 2018 11:25 AM

Hi,

whiteapp.png

Try upgrade the server and check the stauts.

• 5.  RE: AirWave AppRF is dispaying IP address instead of user name

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 21, 2018 03:10 AM

Hello all

Sorry for the late answer regarding this topic, it has taken so long to submit a dump file to Aruba Support were we opened an incident ticket. After upgrades, several remote troubleshooting sessions and analysis of 3.2GB log files the Aruba support has submitted this answer to us:

“The issue is an expected behavior. During apprf data processing, it relies on the client ip table to associate with client_first_last table to get the client user name, user role, etc. info. However, the client’s info in client ip table gets cleaned up once the client is disassociated with the AP or roams to another AP. Since the APPRF has a slight delay in processing client data, the client’s username and role cannot be processed correctly if the client has disassociated or roamed to another AP when the client’s data got processed.”

Aruba support told us that the problem is appearing only if clients are connected for a short period of time.

“We receive the information, informed that this is an expected behavior with the clients connected for a short period of time. The clients connected for a longer period of time should not be affected and will show the username as usual”

Unfortunately we haven’t yet a full productive client Internet solution active were we need the feature and can track the described behavior. I have my doubts that if the clients gets longer connected these entries with IP addresses will disappear. Anyway, due to the solution is not productive on our site I closed the ticket with Aruba support. Hope my explanations are helping somebody else in case he has the same problem.

Marcello