Network Management

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave Server Specs

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  AirWave Server Specs

Posted Feb 01, 2014 08:10 AM

from Sizing Guide ,  5000  device  will need :

RAM : 80 G

Disk Config :  16 * 146 GB 15K RAID 10 

For Storgae part ,   can disks in 8 * 300  work  ?   (  8 * 300 is the same or Higher then  16 * 146 GB )  ?

• 2.  RE: AirWave Server Specs

Posted Feb 01, 2014 10:47 AM

The ideea behind having 16 is to have multiple heads writing at the same time. I don't think hoing with 8 will be a good ideea.

• 3.  RE: AirWave Server Specs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 01, 2014 10:51 AM
    When in doubt, SSD :)

• 4.  RE: AirWave Server Specs

Posted Feb 01, 2014 10:59 AM

yeap why not ... if budget wise is feasible

• 5.  RE: AirWave Server Specs

Posted Mar 11, 2014 08:27 AM

Hi

I am looking for Airwave running on VMware Esxi 5.5 for 750 devices will grow for 1000 device in another 1-2 year.

I would like to run all the modules with atleast history of 6 Months data.

What would be recommended configuration for Virtual Appliance?

Can i run the VM with shared mode?

Thanks

Manickaraja Arumugam

• 6.  RE: AirWave Server Specs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 11, 2014 04:36 PM

If you run AirWave in a Virtual Environment, the key is to size 20% larger to account for VM process overhead.  The next thing to make sure of is that the AirWave instance has some level of priority as it's database intensive.  Also due to database read/write requirements, make sure that your setup meets the required IOPs level.  The amount of data retained will be limited due to client behavior (are the clients consistent like an office/school, or do they vary like an airport/hotspot/store).  Depending on which behavior is present, the amount of disk space needed may vary..

• 7.  RE: AirWave Server Specs

Posted Mar 12, 2014 02:35 AM

Thanks Rob for your valuable input.

Do you have any customer running Airwave on the VM for 1000 devices? How sucessful these deployments?

If we want to go for VM with the 750 devices now with recommended configuration and later can expand the HW Resources, will it supported?

I did not find any spec for VM like How many vCPUs may need for 750 devices? All i can find only the HW specification on Srever blades.

I would like to put HA for Airwave on VM is this model is supported and how to do it?

Thanks

Manickaraja

• 8.  RE: AirWave Server Specs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2014 04:13 AM

If you're planning to grow your network, then I'd suggest sizing your VM based on the expected size.  I like to do this ahead of time to save on the future hassle, but there are older forum threads that describe the VM sizing increase process (requires VM instance restart).  So for VM of AMP 1000, you'd scale the same as the AMP 1000 server scaling in the sizing guide, but then increase RAM and CPU by 20% to account for VM overhead.  You also want to definately make sure that your disks are 15k RPM or better (SAS or SSD) or even better than that (SAN).

If you have Failover, then that instance can also be on the same VHost, but again - it'd have to have the same sizing as the AMP instance - because if the AMP fails, then the Failover server needs to meet the same server requirements to process the data.

• 9.  RE: AirWave Server Specs

Posted Mar 12, 2014 03:26 PM

Well... Although I can't tell you the numbers, I would be concerned about how many new clients you may have per day. I.e.: If it is an airport, shopping center, stadium, etc., you should consider a very large storage. Also, the more data you have, the better should be the disk subsystem speed and the CPU power otherwise you will get really, really slow...

Mo

• 10.  RE: AirWave Server Specs

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 12, 2014 09:01 PM

I have a customer with over 40 AMPs all sized at 1000-device sizes without any major issues (as rgin and mo have stated, they originally undersized their AMPs and ran on old VMWare software, and had issues, once they fixed it they have been good).