Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave System Event Log Data Retention/History only 1 day

This thread has been viewed 9 times
  • 1.  AirWave System Event Log Data Retention/History only 1 day

Posted Apr 30, 2018 10:57 AM

Hi Community

I haven't found an option to set the data retention for amp system event logs. The event log under System -> Event Log goes back for about 14 hours but not more.

Is there a possibility to set the log retention for this log?

Greetings

Marc

• 2.  RE: AirWave System Event Log Data Retention/History only 1 day

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 30, 2018 11:58 AM

The retention shouldn't be limited for that log.  On my lab AMP, I have entries that date back to the installation date.

Try grabbing the diagnostics tarball from the System -> Status page (the diagnostic tarball link is near the top of the page).  When you extract it, there should be a var.log.system.amp_events which is the log that displays on System -> Event Log.  If it's showing more data than you saw from the UI, it's possibly a browser caching issue.  If the log is really only showing 14hrs, then a support case should be opened to investigate.

In the latter case, you could try a few things before opening a support case:

1) try restarting the AMP services (this restarts the logging processes)

2) check disk space

• 3.  RE: AirWave System Event Log Data Retention/History only 1 day

Posted May 01, 2018 07:00 AM

Info: I checked this on two different installations.

I downloaded the tarball and checked the var.log.system.amp_events log. One of the log goes back about 48h the other about 14h. The log files are 227 and 446 KB.

Due to a memory upgrade I rebooted both but the log now goes back about 8h.

• 4.  RE: AirWave System Event Log Data Retention/History only 1 day

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 01, 2018 09:43 AM

there is a log rotation mechanism so that the logs don't run away utilizing all the disk.  check to see if there's a *.1 or *.2 log fo the same title that has the additional history.

• 5.  RE: AirWave System Event Log Data Retention/History only 1 day

Posted Jun 18, 2018 08:27 AM

Hi Rob

I checked the files with a search there's only one file without a counting number.

I will create a case if we need these logs again.

Best Regards

Marc

• 6.  RE: AirWave System Event Log Data Retention/History only 1 day

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 18, 2018 02:31 PM

Sounds good.  It may be that the logging mechanism needs to be restarted.  If you do open a support case, they can restart rsyslog in the background so that you don't have to do a full reboot or any other halting operations.