Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave behavior

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AirWave behavior

Posted Nov 04, 2013 09:34 AM
      |   view attached

I will add the picture but my question is as follows:

We have the following equipment in Building A:

1 - 3600 Controller

1 - 6000 with 3x M3's

1 - AirWave Master

In building B we have the same equipment in warm backup mode.

The cases that I was interested in the behaivour are as follows:

1)  Only Airwave in Building A goes offline:

a) how the AP's are going to appear on Airwave Building B (New devices or under the proper group).         

b) Once we bring Airwave in Building A back online will it automatically become the Master.

2) Building A goes offline (that means Controllers and Airwave go down):

a) How the AP's are going to appear on Airwave Building B (New devices or under the proper group).

b) Once we bring Airwave in Building A back online will it automatically become the Master.

• 2.  RE: AirWave behavior

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 05, 2013 01:57 PM

Post moved since this doesn't seem to be an Aruba Instant or Cloud related question.

How are the controllers setup?  Are they actually set as master-backup?  Or are they master-local?  The APs should be reported under whichever controller they are provisioned under.  In the event of Building A failure, the APs should fail over to Building B.  The APs themselves would still be in the same group/folder they were in originally.  But the activity would be tracked back to Building B's controller as the upstream device.

Am I understanding the question correctly?

• 3.  RE: AirWave behavior

Posted Nov 15, 2013 08:13 AM

In the each building they are set up as master - local but the relationship between the controllers from building A to building B are Master Backup.

The information that  I'm looking for is more related to how AIrwave will act. 

• 4.  RE: AirWave behavior
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2013 05:15 PM

What's the device count for both buildings (switches, controllers, APs)?

Following your scenario and expecting that there's no communication issues between Building A and B.

1a) If AirWave in Building A goes offline
    - I take it that the AirWave in Building B is a Failover AMP. It will restore the last backup it got from Building A, and then resume collecting data..

1b) Bringing AirWave for Building A back online will result in 2 AMPs monitoring. The option you have while bringing up Building A's AMP is do you care about the data that Building B's AMP caught while Building A was down? If you do, then you take a backup of Building B's AMP and restore it on Building A. Then you restore the failover image on Building B's AMP to make it a Failover AMP again.  If you don't care about data that was collected during AMP A's outage, then you can just restore the Failover backup in /var/airwave-backup/watcher/

2a) If all things in Building A go down, Building B's AMP and controllers take over. This means that the controllers become active. It will take longer, but eventually Building B's AMP will show that Building A's devices are down, with the APs migrated to Building B's controllers (APs will remain in same group/folder, but their details will reflect the new controller upstream).

2b) Same as 1b.

The scenario is more difficult to describe if you have AMP A and AMP B as standalone AMPs. As until failure, Building B's AMP would be doing nothing if the APs are all provisioned to Building A's controllers. Unless you monitor both sets of controllers from both AMPs for an active/active AMP setup (but that's not an advised route due to SNMP load and latency).

• 5.  RE: AirWave behavior

Posted Nov 20, 2013 09:06 AM

AMP are in Master - Bakcup releationship.