Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave migration

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  AirWave migration

Posted May 15, 2017 04:47 PM

Hi guys,

I am going to install AirWave on a PC for customer, but after a month customer wants to migrate this AirWave to a virtual machine. How shall I proceed? Just turn off the PC and install the AirWave on the virtual machine? Do I have to take into account anything? Will the license I use for AirWave on the PC be valid for the new installation on the virtual machine?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: AirWave migration

MVP EXPERT
    Posted May 15, 2017 04:53 PM

Hey, take a look at the below. It should answer your questions, don't forget to take note of the licensing as well. You may well run into issues with this if the IP address has changed that the license is tied too.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Network-Management/AirWave-VM-to-Dedicated-Server-Migration-Questions/td-p/90038

• 3.  RE: AirWave migration
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2017 05:17 AM

Hi,

Make a copy of the license to your system. If we are concerned about the backup on the old machine, download the latest nightly backup to your system from System --> Backup page on Airwave. Do a fresh install on VM. Make sure you install the same version of Airwave which you had on PC, if you have the plan to restore. To restore copy the nightly backup file which you downloaded from old Airwave to /tmp directory on the new Airwave box using winscp and execute the below command,

# amp_restore -d /tmp/<filename>

Also, Airwave license would be mapped to your IP address. If you are using the same IP on the new server you can use the same license key. In case you have plan to use a different IP address, please contact our welcome center and provide them with the old key and new IP, they will generate a new license for you mapping to the new IP address.

Please feel free to let me know if you have any queries.

• 4.  RE: AirWave migration

Posted Jun 06, 2017 12:26 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks for your response. I am going to migrate AirWave today but I have a question about restoring. What's the difference between these two commands:

# amp_restore -d /tmp/<filename>

and

# amp_restore -d /var/airwave-backup/nightly_data001.tar.gz

I see the only difference is the directory, namely "tmp" or "var". What's the difference? What command shall I use?

Thanks very much,

Julián

• 5.  RE: AirWave migration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2017 12:32 PM

Hi Julián,

There is no difference in the restore script. As you mentioned we are only specifying the directory where we have the backup.

• 6.  RE: AirWave migration

Posted Jun 06, 2017 12:37 PM

Hi Vishnu,

Then with both commands will I get the historical data and the AMP configuration on the new server?

Regards,

Julián

• 7.  RE: AirWave migration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2017 12:39 PM

Hi Julián,

Its not the command that specifies the historical retention, it is the backup file.

If the backup file which you are restoring is good and taken from a working server it should have all the data.

• 8.  RE: AirWave migration

Posted Jun 06, 2017 01:00 PM

Hi Vishnu,

I understand. Then if a copy the nightly_dataxxx.tar.gz to var/airwave-backup/ I will have the historical data and the AMP configuration, won't I?

Other question, under "var/airwave-backup/" directory I have the files nightly_data001.tar.gz to nightly_data004.tar.gz, do I need to copy all the files or just the latest one? After the restore, do I need to reboot the server?

Regards,

Julián

• 9.  RE: AirWave migration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2017 01:04 PM

Hi Julián,

If you are copying the nightly001 file to new server for restoring try to copy it to "/tmp" directory and execute the restore script so that you wont get confused latter when other backup files gets created under /var/airwave-bacup.

You dont have to copy all the backup files. Just the latest one should do.

amp_restore -d /tmp/nightly_data001.tar.gz

• 10.  RE: AirWave migration

Posted Jun 06, 2017 01:22 PM

Hi Vishnu,

I understand. I will make the migration and let you know. In the meantime I have another question that customer just asked me. Is it possible to set a hard drive for logs and historical data and another hard drive for AMP configuration? Is there any document addressing this? I have searched in the AirWave User Guide but there is no reference for that.

Regards,

Julián

• 11.  RE: AirWave migration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 06, 2017 01:34 PM

Julián,

It is not possible now. Currently the whole backup would be consolidated. We wont be able to take it separately and store them separately.

• 12.  RE: AirWave migration

Posted Jun 06, 2017 06:27 PM

Hi Vishnu,

I have made the migration and the restoration successfully. A lot of thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Julián

• 13.  RE: AirWave migration

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2017 02:46 AM

Hi Julián,

Glad to know that everything good now. Thank you for the update.