Network Management

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave not adding new devices to their folder

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  AirWave not adding new devices to their folder

Posted Jul 28, 2016 05:39 AM

Hi all,

I am quite sure that once one of you tells me where am I getting it wrong I'll have "do-oh" moment, but what can I do.

We are setting up AirWave 8.2.1 AMP, and after controllers were discovered all the APs followed. They are all sitting in "New Devices" at the moment, but if I try to move them to their rightful folder nothing happens. Any advice on what can this be? Thanks in advance.

Alan

• 2.  RE: AirWave not adding new devices to their folder

Posted Jul 28, 2016 06:45 AM

Hi,

Just noticed that Airwave is showing controller(s) configuration to be "Unknown"? Thanks.

Alan

• 3.  RE: AirWave not adding new devices to their folder

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2016 07:55 AM

If you do not have the username and password for the controller correct, that is one reason why airwave would not have its configuration.  Airwave can do the majority of what it needs with only the snmp read string and not the username and password.  Please see the Airwave 8.2 - Aruba Best Practices guide on how to configure a controller and Airwave together here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/21059/Default.aspx

• 4.  RE: AirWave not adding new devices to their folder

Posted Jul 28, 2016 09:54 AM

Hi Colin,

Tried as you suggested (removed controllers from AW), and re-discovered Master by using only Community String. Outcome: controller discovered, status is "Up", but configuration is still "Unknown"!!

There is no firewall between them, just in case you wonder. Thanks.

Alan

• 5.  RE: AirWave not adding new devices to their folder

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 28, 2016 10:00 AM

AlanFord,

Monitoring the controller is one thing that all user do with airwave.  Managing the configuration of the controller in Airwave is an advanced and optional feature.  There are steps you would need to follow carefully to do this.  The steps needed are detailed in the "controller configuration guide" here:  https://support.arubanetworks.com/Documentation/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/EntryId/21059/Default.aspx

• 6.  RE: AirWave not adding new devices to their folder

Posted Jul 28, 2016 10:33 AM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for helping me out with this. Seems I have discovered reason, and fixed it, for configuration being "Unknown", controller had a separate entry for different AW appliance (not in use anymore). Configuration is now showing as "Error", and when you click on device link it says: "Error (Telnet/SSH Error: Could not fetch config file; command timed-out)".

I am sure that my SSH details are OK as I just used putty on both controllers in order to verify. There is a post from earlier today with same error message appearing, but no fix suggested. Thanks.

Alan