Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

AirWave upgrade from 7.4.9 fails

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  AirWave upgrade from 7.4.9 fails

Posted Sep 02, 2013 06:01 AM

Hello

Before i open a Aruba TAC case, i wanted to see if anybody had a solution for us.

A customer of mine with several controllers and about 300 AP's are now migrated to 6.3.

They haven't upgraded their AirWave accordingly, not that you need it, but they have used it with success so far.

They have added buildings and floors, and have spent far amount of time on it.

When they now try to upgrade, it fails.

First round they tried to upgrade to 7.7.x, and it failed, breaking the AirWave application. Backup at hand, they reinstalled 7.4.8, loaded the backup, upgraded to 7.4.9  and tried again, upgrading only to 7.5.2, and again it fails.

I include the simple log for the last fail:

[root@airwave mercury]# start_amp_upgrade -v 7.5.2

Directory not specified; using /root.

Upgrade script AMP-7.5.2-amp_upgrade was not found in local cache.

Upgrade package AMP-7.5.2-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz was not found in local cache.

Preparing to connect to Aruba Support Center...

Enter your Aruba Support Center username: jarle.teigen@hit.no

######################################################################## 100,0%

Upgrade package AMP-7.5.2-x86_64-cvs.tar.gz was not found in local cache.

Checking for any patches or modifications to the code

This process may take a few minutes...

No outstanding changes were found. Continuing with the upgrade.

Preparing to connect to Aruba Support Center...

######################################################################## 100,0%

Validating the upgrade package...

Upgrade package is OK.

Upgrading AMP to version 7.5.2 from version 7.4.9...

Detailed log will be written to /var/log/upgrade/AMP-7.5.2-upgrade.log

STEP 1: Moving old version aside.

STEP 2: Unpacking upgrade package.

STEP 3: Checking for compatibility.

STEP 4: Stopping AMP services.

STEP 5: Installing upgrade.

make: Leaving directory `/root/svn/mercury'

regulatory domain took 0.20s

firmware version stuff took 0.88s

(update_db.pl ready_all/wait_all took 7.77s)

Completed update_db  at Fri Aug 30 13:55:49 2013

(cd /usr/local/airwave/lib/java; JAVA_HOME=/usr/java/jre /bin/su visualrf ./visualrf_schema.sh)

./visualrf_schema.sh: line 2: /usr/java/jre/bin/java: Ingen slik fil eller filkatalog

make[1]: *** [updatedb] Error 127

make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/svn/mercury'

make: *** [upgrade] Error 2

make: Leaving directory `/root/svn/mercury'

Upgrade aborted.

Please contact Aruba Networks Support at

1-800-WiFi-LAN or support@arubanetworks.com

DISABLED - 2!!

[root@airwave mercury]#

They are running an appliance, no VmWare involved.

Looks like the installer moves the files, but as the upgrade fails, it is unable to cleanup, breaking the AirWave application.

Anybody having an idea what causes this, and how to fix it?

The appliance do have lots of free disk space.

Roar Fossen

• 2.  RE: AirWave upgrade from 7.4.9 fails

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 02, 2013 08:53 AM
    Please open a case. Our support group can assist.

• 3.  RE: AirWave upgrade from 7.4.9 fails

Posted Sep 02, 2013 08:59 AM

Thanks, will do

• 4.  RE: AirWave upgrade from 7.4.9 fails

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 02, 2013 08:52 PM

Is there a reason for only going to 7.5.2?  The last of the 7.5 releases was 7.5.7.  And then the most current release is 7.7.4 right now.  Keep in mind that from 7.4, you cannot go directly to 7.7.4.  You would have to follow either of the following paths:

7.4.9 -> 7.5.7 -> 7.7.4 (as long as already on 64bit CentOS6)

or

7.4.9 -> 7.6.5 -> 7.7.4 (as long as already on 64bit CentOS6)

• 5.  RE: AirWave upgrade from 7.4.9 fails

Posted Sep 03, 2013 02:45 AM

Hi, well no reason at all. The customer tried to go from 7.4.8 to 7.7 the first round of upgrade. Needless to say it failed.

At the same tim ei remember that my lab AirWave i had similar problems moving from 7.4.9 to 7.5.

The upgrade could not complete, not until 7.5.2 was released, was i able to upgrade.

It's also wise to try smaller steps if large ones fail. Now both have failed, so we are stuck.

I have opened a TAC case with Aruba and we have recieved a set of commands to run.

Customer is very capable themselves, so i will have to wait to see how it works out.

Roar Fossen

• 6.  RE: AirWave upgrade from 7.4.9 fails

Posted Sep 03, 2013 10:00 AM

You might just need to re-compile the application, I assume TAC sent you some "make" commands.

If you were getting a sytem_optimize error I could have helped but I've never seen yours before...

I would be really interested in knowing how you fix this one so I can add it to my "Troubleshooting section" of my Upgrade Airwave guide..

• 7.  RE: AirWave upgrade from 7.4.9 fails

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 03, 2013 01:21 PM

I think this error message

./visualrf_schema.sh: line 2: /usr/java/jre/bin/java: Ingen slik fil eller filkatalog

shows that java doesn't exist where we expect it.  Perhaps something went wrong during the reinstallation?  If they haven't figured out a solution yet, I would recommend reinstalling and re-upgrading.

I agree with Rob that 7.5.7 would be a better upgrade target, since it has more bug fixes. 

• 8.  RE: AirWave upgrade from 7.4.9 fails

Posted Sep 03, 2013 06:01 PM

Well, the customer, being fairly fluent in Linux, has found the problem and corrected it.

It was not the lack of java, but rather the installscript changing a pointer somewhere.

He then corrected this, so the installation could find java again, and voila.

I have asked him to summerize what he did, so i can post it here and give Aruba TAC a meaningful feedback.

He went on to run it all in a virtual environment, and have now upgraded to 7.5.7.

He will now upgrade to a version compatible with CentOS 6, take a backup and do a fresh install on the appliance with a CentOS 6 version.

After that he will restore the backup and cross his fingers.

Mosher

• 9.  RE: AirWave upgrade from 7.4.9 fails

Posted Sep 04, 2013 06:14 AM

Hi

As promised, here is the solution for this problem.

Thanks to my customer

1. Customer upgrades the AirWave from 7.4.8 to 7.4.9, java is present under /usr/java/jre/bin/java
    2. Trying to upgrade to 7.5.7, it fails with an error stating that Java is missing, and the customer can actually see that the path the installer looks for Java, there is no Java.
    3. Re-installing 7.4.9, restore of backup, trying to upgrade to 7.5.7 again. He notices that Java is disappearing under STEP 5 of the installation.There is a symbolic link under /usr/java: jre that points to /usr/java/jre1.6.0_30, that does not exist. What do exist is jre1.6.0_19

4. He now concludes that the installation needs jre1.6.0_30 to complete.

5. New reinstall of 7.4.9, restore of backup and starts upgrading to 7.5.7

6. Monitoring the symbolic link, he removes the link when it is changed to jre1.6.0_30

7. Creates a new symbolic link pointing to jre1.6.0_19 before the installation needs Java

8. Upgrade successful.

Hope this can help others with similar problems

Roar Fossen