Network Management

last person joined: 19 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave 7.7.9 Client Count Alert

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Airwave 7.7.9 Client Count Alert

Posted Mar 07, 2014 10:45 AM
      |   view attached

Hey Guys,

I run Airwave 7.7.9

We have a high density client population because we are a College Campus. I frequently get alerts on R329 and R328 (Shown in the attached)  that "Client Count on Devices is at least 20 and Device Type is Access Point for 10 minutes". In an attempt to slow these alerts we tried putting an AP in a wiring closet we have that is adjacent to those two APs. Which has brought down the number of Alerts, but we still receive them multiple times a day.

We use AP-105s for our Wirless on the Campus. 

I've included a screen scape from the area we receive alerts about showing our heat map. 

What are my options? 

• 2.  RE: Airwave 7.7.9 Client Count Alert

Posted Mar 07, 2014 02:35 PM

How many devices are you supporting in the classroom? I can see that there is at least 45 seats in the classroom. If you are college classroom 45 students with 2 devices or sometimes 3 devices will give you at least 90 devices in that classroom. To support 90 devices at 20 per AP you will need 4 APs inside the classroom. Is there a reason why you want to keep only 20 devices per AP? 

• 3.  RE: Airwave 7.7.9 Client Count Alert

Posted Mar 07, 2014 03:14 PM

I inherited the network so I am finding all the quirks. I don't personally see a reason that only 20 clients per AP is a cap. I just assumed that It was an Aruba cap for that variety of AP. 

I am just trying to figure out why I am receiving these alerts so frequently.  Is this possibly an Airwave setting that just says there are that many devices? Or is it actually the way these would be setup in the controller? 

I would say on average in those classrooms there will be somewhere between 30-40 students at a time. I am sure that Most if not all will have at least 2 devices. Some may even have more. 

• 4.  RE: Airwave 7.7.9 Client Count Alert
    Best Answer

Posted Mar 07, 2014 04:40 PM
      |   view attached

You can change the alert parameters on airwave and increase the user count. 

• 5.  RE: Airwave 7.7.9 Client Count Alert

Posted Mar 07, 2014 04:52 PM

Yes Sir I am POSITIVE that is what it was. It was in fact set to 20. I was reading that the max clients is closer to 200, and that the default for an SSID is set to 64 (Which I found in the controller) So this threshold had to be the last thing keeping my Alert Log from filling up with all these 20 device counts. 

• 6.  RE: Airwave 7.7.9 Client Count Alert

Posted Mar 10, 2014 07:35 AM
    You can also set the Airwave client count alert to only trigger after a specific count is reached and for a specific period of time. We have ours setup for 40 and only triggers after that count is sustained for 60 minutes. This will also rule out and spikes in client count and also tells you you might have to add additional APs