Network Management

last person joined: 18 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

Posted Oct 22, 2014 02:33 PM

I've been testing with Airwave's config audit report.  Currently we are pointing all our APs master discovery to "aruba-master".  The issue is that some APs have a combination of Master/Local IP address/es instead.

I'm trying to run a config audit report against all the current APs to see which APs don't have the settings that I want.  The problem is that the report comes back with a lot of different settings, basically it's inconsistent on a per AP basis.

I've contacted Aruba TAC and they just kept telling me that in order to fix the mismatch config of the AP I need to import the current AP settings.  I don't want to do this because I could be importing a current config that I don't want to be correct.

So, my question, is there a way to set a global config in Airwave to check against all the APs?  That way it will flag any AP that does not have the global config that I set?

I've looked all over Airwave and do not see this setting.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

Posted Oct 22, 2014 02:42 PM

1. So are you wanting a suggested best config to compare to?

2. Could you specifically correctly set one up and import that config?(If you answer to #1 is no)

• 3.  RE: Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

Posted Oct 22, 2014 03:48 PM

Right, a base config on Airwave to compare to all APs.

According to TAC, each mismatched APs config need to be imported to resolve that mismatch.  But that's useless since it could be importing a config not wanted from such AP.

If I import a good known AP, can I make that the default config that Airwave uses to check every other AP?  

• 4.  RE: Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

Posted Oct 22, 2014 03:59 PM
    Yes that becomes the template for the folder.

Sent from my iPhone

• 5.  RE: Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

Posted Oct 22, 2014 04:03 PM

Is there a way to edit that template?  Any way to make that template global for all the folders?

• 6.  RE: Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

Posted Oct 22, 2014 04:12 PM
    The way I edit the template is and it may not be the accepted way but I edit config on the controller. Then the device will display as mismatched when it is polled. Then import the config again and you are set.

Sent from my iPhone

• 7.  RE: Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

Posted Oct 22, 2014 04:17 PM

Hmm...I'm just trying to audit the config on the APs, not the controllers.  If I'm getting this right, you are saying to find an AP per each folder that has the current config that I want.  Import that config from that AP.  Do this for every folder and I should have the config I want for all APs?  Then I can run the report and get the appropriate info that I want?  If so, this is way too much work and for doing this.  I don't see why one template can't be created and added as a global template that all folders should match against.

• 8.  RE: Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

Posted Oct 22, 2014 04:22 PM
    It is possible to create a template I'm 99% sure. I'll try to find some doc on it for you. I personally just import the config and have never created one myself

Sent from my iPhone

• 9.  RE: Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 22, 2014 06:28 PM

Here's how I would do this:

create a new group

in the group -> move a single Aruba AP that has the config that you're looking for into the group

import that AP's config as the group's defaults

then temporarily move APs into that group and run report based on that group

and then afterwards move the APs back into their desired group

not ideal, but it's a workaround method to achieve what you're looking for.

It'd currently be a feature request to try to run an audit report of 1 group against another groups config.

• 10.  RE: Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

Posted Oct 22, 2014 06:44 PM

We have 2,500+ APs, this would take all day.

I don't understand why Airwave is taking the config the AP first reports as the config to verify against. It should be an import global option per folder or group and it should be configurable.

What's the process of important an APs config as the default for a Group?

Currently we have all the APs under one group.  We then have them in different folders within that group.

• 11.  RE: Airwave AP config audit **global config to compare all APs?**

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 23, 2015 04:55 PM

Wow, didn't realize that this thread had gone stale without a response.  Since it's been so long, are you still having issues?

I had a look at AP config auditting, and it looks like each AP audits against it's own management page (not group based) - this is where per radio settings are found as well.

The description I had previously provided was for Aruba Instant APs, but I read more closely and it looks like you're focused on APs on controllers (slightly different config behavior from AirWave perspective).

If you're still having issues, I suggest opening a support case since I'm not seeing the easy way of doing this from the UI.  The method I'm looking at involved doing changes directly in the database which means there's probably a few things that need to be changed to make this easier.  Some feature enhancements requests would definitely need to be made.