Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

This thread has been viewed 10 times
  • 1.  Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted Oct 11, 2013 02:24 PM

Several days ago the client count in Airwave and the client count on the controllers stopped syncing up properly. I can't think of a change I did other than trying to implement AMON as a preferred method but have since went back to snmp. I'm still getting client information just not all of it. There's maybe a 2000 user difference. I think the snmp polling was timing out from Airwave (7.7.4) to the Controller but was wondering if anyone else has experienced something like this. I currently have a TAC case open but haven't gotten a resolution. I am using 6.3.0.0 on the controller and 7.7.4 on airwave and I upgraded to 7.7.4 on October 2nd.

• 2.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted Oct 11, 2013 05:08 PM

We too are experiencing descrepancies between what AMP displays & what the controllers list, not just in client count, but also in a client's association table; the controller will say that a client has been connected for a few hours, where as AMP only lists an hour or less.  

We're running AMP 7.7.1 & we have 2 sets of controllers; test & production running 6.1.3.7 & beta running 6.2.1.3.  

We're monitoring some 2.5k devices, anywhere between 6 - 13k clients & 10 - 15k rogues.  

I just got off a 3.5 hour phone call w/ TAC looking at a number of AMP issues, mainly a slowness where it used to take 2-3 minutes for pages to refresh.  We were able to solve that by restarting AMP services.  The initial issue was that certain APs weren't graphing client count.  We added a new 7240 controller to our beta group & migrated some 7 APs onto it.  I noticed that no graphs were being displayed for the SSIDs.  After a few hours on the phone w/ TAC we removed & re-added the devices (after restarting services, which did improve performance).  

The devices are listed as up, however none of the SSIDs are listed in the graphs both for the newly re-added controller & for the APs associated w/ that controller.  AMP does contain old data from the APs PRIOR to moving them to the new controller, however (thus far) any attempt to gather graph data from the APs & the newly re-added controller fail.  Furthermore, none of the SSIDs in production are displaying in the pull down menus of the newly re-added controller & its APs.

We're hopful that AMP 8.0 will resolve a lot of our issues, however until that's released we'll just have to sit tight & deal w/ Airwave as it is.  

• 3.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted Oct 13, 2013 11:29 PM

Rosie - I too am seeing the Client Count Discrepancy issue.

AirWave 7.7.4 and ArubaOS 6.3.0.1

The client count on AirWave fluctuates dramatically and never reaches the count on the controller. It is also displaying incorrect association time for the clients.

Chris

• 4.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted Oct 14, 2013 08:18 AM

I just upgraded to 6.3.1.0 and am still working with TAC but haven't seen any progress. I'm going to try a couple different changes today and will update this thread with any improvements made.

• 5.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted Oct 14, 2013 09:55 AM

I upgraded to 6.3.1.0 over the weekend and am also seeing (at initial glance just client count, but possibly more) these problems as well (running Airwave 7.7.4).  I'd be interested in what you find.

• 6.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted Oct 16, 2013 10:14 AM

I just wanted to update on our client count differences.  As of right now, things look better - I worked with TAC to look into it a bit more and we changed the prefer AMON over SNMP values to No, that seemed to fix it.

• 7.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted Oct 16, 2013 10:18 AM

I wasn't as lucky. I've been working with TAC since I posted the message. I have turned off AMON everywhere adjusted the polling times and even put the controller in the same network as airwave. This morning I disabled rogue detection on the controller group but I'm still missing 2000 or so clients on Airwave.

• 8.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted Oct 17, 2013 12:43 PM

I found several triggers that were added and once removed the problem was resovled but not with the amon preferred to snmp option enabled. I was told that shouldn't cause the problem so TAC is going to be taking a deeper look.

• 9.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted Oct 17, 2013 10:42 PM

Once disabling "prefer Amon vs SNMP Polling" the issue seems to have disappeared. It was not instantaneous however, it wasn't until probably 12 hours after changing this setting that things started to normalize.

Chris

• 10.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted May 11, 2015 03:59 AM

Spending the night researching this exact problem on google and came across this article. Figured I should reply since it helped.

I have 60 clients on AMP while 4 on the controller and the client location never worked when clients are actually connected to the wireless, it would look like every AP has it's clients on top of the AP regardless of where they are physically.

I set prefer AMON to SNMP to NO and it fixed all the issues I've been having.

I actually thought that AMON is aruba "proprietary" to increase location accuracy?? wounder whey it isn't working with Aruba wireless. I should mention that when I installed AMP, I have it configured using Aruba best practices for configuring Airwave server(downloaded for the support site).

Thanks anyways for pointing that all the troubles were because of AMON.

• 11.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted May 11, 2015 04:14 PM

"Prefer AMON" has been broken for quite some time, and is slowly getting better.  It used to be

client count was way off and randonly so, now it seems it is just off by a contant factor.  Hospitality port client count is always 0 with "Prefer AMON."

Some of this may be explained by packet loss of AMON packets.  The latest ArubaOS changes

the fragmentation behavior so it does not lose as many full packets when a fragment is lost.  We

have not tried that yet.

It was also suggested to us that Airwave works better with certain SNMP traps sent to it.  Then

we tried SNMPv3 and found that to be broken on the controller side, and have not yet decided whether to try lower-reliability versions of SNMP.

• 12.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted May 12, 2015 10:41 AM

For what it's worth, the last response we received from TAC was that the user count in Airwave with AMON enabled was including unauthenticated users in the station table and that is why the numbers were skewed.

• 13.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted Sep 08, 2016 06:03 PM

Hi,

Anyone still experiencing this kind of client count discrepancy using Airwave 8.2.2?

I tried setting the "Prefer AMON vs SNMP Polling" to NO, but that made no diffrence on the client count (around 10% less) compared to number reported by the controllers...

• 14.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2016 07:57 PM

Please open a TAC case.

• 15.  RE: Airwave Client Count Discrepancy

Posted Sep 09, 2016 01:45 PM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the advice. I will open a TAC case.