Network Management

Occasional Contributor II

Airwave Disk Space Usage

I have 97 devices in Airwave, which is running on a physical server.  The airwave sizing guide recommended a 75GB drive.  I started with a single 146 GB drive.  I upgrade from Airwave 7.3.1 to 7.4.0 about 2 weeks ago. Around the same time I enabled RTLS Collection.  My airwave server ran out of disk space last Thursday.  I opened a TAC case and got help freeing up about 12%, but it was suggested I put a second drive in.  I added a second 146 GB drive and had to build the server over again and restore from backup.  After adding the second drive, I started out last Friday with 55% free.  I lowered the historical data retention settings a good bit.  Airwave has been filling about 3% of the total disk space every day since then, and I will be out of space again in about a week.  I opened another TAC case and was told nothing was wrong, I would either have to lower the historical data settings even more or add MORE hard drive space.  I already have 3 times+ the recommended space so I disagree with that, but TAC isn't any help.  Anybody ran into this or know if something could be wrong?

Aruba Employee

Re: Airwave Disk Space Usage

This is an interesting issue. I am considering enabling RTLS as well, but it appears that the retention of this data is probably tied into the Client Data Retention Interval. If that is the case, I believe this should become an RFE (Request for Enhancement) to average out RTLS data after a certain interval. For example, once RTLS data is more than a day old, average it out to every 10 or 15 minutes. Otherwise keeping client data beyond a couple days is going to eat up storage.

Thanks,

Zach Jennings
Aruba

That is abnormally high disk usage.  What historical settings are you changing?  Do you know what type of data is using all of the space?  Are you in an environment that has lots of unique users, like an airport or other public location?

Contributor II

I am having the same issue.

I found a file - visualrf_msg.log - that is over 147GB in size. Anyone know what that may be used for and how to stop it from getting so big?

Contributor I

Have you been doing a large amount of work within AWMS using VisualRF?

Also, try doing the following command:

tail -100 /var/log/visualrf_msg.log

This should help you to figure out what is flooding your visualrf log file.

Contributor II

Not doing a lot in VisualRF.

The tail command produces a lot of this:

2012-01-24 15:29:14,306 WARN  Message[2]   com.airwave.model.external.RTLSMessageTask invalid mac[null] used to lookup access point radios

As in about 200-300 such messages per second.

Any idea?

Aruba

That log file certainly shouldn't be that big. I think it would be wise to open up a support case. 

If your hard drive is in danger of filling up, you could save off the last 1000 lines, then safely empty the original file's contents like this:

# tail -n1000 /var/log/visualrf_msg.log > /tmp/visualrf_msg.log   

# echo > /var/log/visualrf_msg.log

Contributor I

Agree with Dan.

Although shouldn't the log rotation be doing this automatically? If his visualrf log is filling up that much in 24 hours, I think there is a bigger concern at hand.

Aruba

Chris, do you have RTLS enabled?  That's the feature that has APs send signal data directly to AMP so that VisualRF's device triangulation updated more aggressively.  That one message you pasted in looks like it's related to RTLS, and yeah, the amount of data we get could cause that log to have tons of data.

Contributor II

I do have RTLS enabled, although that is not something new. It has been enabled for well over 2 years.

I don't believe this log has been growing that long.

Any way to check the top of it?

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: