Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Failover Server - what do I need to configure on the managed devices ?

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Airwave Failover Server - what do I need to configure on the managed devices ?

Posted Jul 13, 2016 04:04 AM

When a Failover Server loads the config of a failed server, it does not change IP address.  

What do I need to configure on the devices managed by the failed Airwave server for them to recognise the new server ?

What is the failover process in detail ?

Thanks in advance !

• 2.  RE: Airwave Failover Server - what do I need to configure on the managed devices ?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2016 10:47 AM

Hi Malc,

We don't have to configure anything on the Primary server for failover to recognize it. On failover server we have to add the Primary server's IP, GUI user name and password under Watched AMP List for the failover to start monitoring the primary. Once Primary is taken over by failover the Failover AMP will retain its original IP address.

Below is the process on how it works,

The Failover AMP and the Watched AMP must be on the same version or else the watched AMP will be unable to restore properly. If any of the watched AMPs are not on the same version, you will need to upgrade. The Failover AMP will need HTTPS access (port 443) to the watched AMP to verify that the web page is active and to fetch downloads. Once the Failover AMP determines that the Watched AMP s not up (based on the user-defined missed poll threshold), it will restore the data backup of the Watched AMP and begin monitoring the watched AMP APs and devices. The Failover AMP will retain its original IP address.

Let me know if you have any further queries.

Regards,

Vishnu

• 3.  RE: Airwave Failover Server - what do I need to configure on the managed devices ?

Posted Jul 13, 2016 12:28 PM

Hi Vishnu,

Thanks for the outline of the process, this clarifies things a little, it is as I thought.

However, your answer only answers one part of my original post.  

Let me clarify the main question - what do I have to configure on managed devices - eg. a controller or an Instant VC - for the failover server to be recognised by the managed device and for the device to send the new server AMON data if the failover server has a different IP address to the original server (which is does) ?

Thanks,

Malcolm

• 4.  RE: Airwave Failover Server - what do I need to configure on the managed devices ?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 13, 2016 12:53 PM

Hi Malcolm,

Yes, on the Controller side we need to create AMON profile and map it to both Primary and Failover IP. On the IAP we have to specify Failover's IP under Backup AMP server IP. Below link have details on how to configure on Controller side.

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Monitoring-Management-Location/How-do-I-ensure-that-AMON-messages-are-sent-to-failover-Airwave/ta-p/266780

Regards,

Vishnu