Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Groups while in Monitor Only mode.

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Airwave Groups while in Monitor Only mode.

Posted Oct 13, 2013 12:20 PM

Trying to wrap my head around how Airwave Groups are utilized when Airwave is used in "Monitor Only" mode.  Figured I'd reach out to the community before calling TAC.  

I've read through the Airwave 7.7 Users Guide & have looked at the Practical AirWave Workshop presentation.  

First off...  Am I correct to assume that any AMP changes or reconfiguration (when Airwave is used in "Monitor Only" mode) of APs & their respective Groups / Folders WILL NOT reboot any APs?

Thus far, I believe that Groups are used to audit specific config settings of devices based on their Group designation.  I'm not entirely sure this explains why there may be configuration mis-matches for items such as Aruba AP Group settings?  Perhaps I need to look more at Templates...  

So, one possibility of accounting for Config Mismatches might be to create as many groups as needed to account for all of the specific setting differences in an environment; which might turn out to be too time consuming in a complex environment.

We have about 11 groups at the moment; some aren't being used. Some of them are used to differentiate deployments (physically [i.e. different campuses] & logically [production, test, & beta]). There are a few others that aren't very useful, Aruba, ArubaAPs, & (the default) Access Points.  I have yet to dig though comparisons to find out which groups are needed and which ones can be deleted. 

What is the best practice regarding Airwave Group creation & association?  Should I create individual groups for every different config setting?  Should I just stick w/ some basics?  Should I create different ones for different APs (105s vs 125s vs etc. etc.)? 

Specifically, if we put all of our APs in either Aruba or ArubaAPs (or other groups) however we have APs on physically connected on devices that belong to other groups (such as beta) where should those APs be assigned?  Currently, we're using a mix of these types of associations; physical campus group has both controllers & all APs on that campus assigned to that Airwave Group.  However in the logical Beta group, most of the APs connected to the beta controllers are in the ArubaAPs group, yet a single (non-production) AP is assigned to the Beta Group.  

Apologies, I know its confusing. 

Could this be an example of where Templates should be used?  If I define / configure & use a template while Airwave is in Monitor Only mode, what will this accomplish?

I'm gonna re-read the Users Guide & see if I can learn more about what Group configs can be specified / monitored & what role a template may play in helping simply groups.  

Thanks,

• 2.  RE: Airwave Groups while in Monitor Only mode.

Posted Oct 14, 2013 06:44 AM

Hi :smileyhappy:

First off...  Am I correct to assume that any AMP changes or reconfiguration (when Airwave is used in "Monitor Only" mode) of APs & their respective Groups / Folders WILL NOT reboot any APs?

yes.correct - as long as you are in monitor only...no change to the controller config/ap will be done. (so no reboot will be happened on the site itself) - that the meaning of monitor only.

What is the best practice regarding Airwave Group creation & association?  Should I create individual groups for every different config setting?  Should I just stick w/ some basics?  Should I create different ones for different APs (105s vs 125s vs etc. etc.)?

I personally, like to divide my sites to group of AP and controllers. And I'm working with subfolders in each group for different clients sites.

Could this be an example of where Templates should be used?  If I define / configure & use a template while Airwave is in Monitor Only mode, what will this accomplish?

regarding your template question,

read here:

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/InstantMobile/Advanced/Content/Instant%20User%20Guide%20-%20volumes/_Features.htm

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/Group-Templates/td-p/64008

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Aruba-Instant-Cloud-Wi-Fi/Managing-IAPs-in-multiple-locations-with-AirWave/td-p/40188

Best practice guide (of AW7.5)

http://support.arubanetworks.com/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?TabId=77&DMXModule=512&Command=Core_Download&EntryId=8053&PortalId=0&__gda__=1381747740_a814bdb03382dd15df3cd42b3507ef0b

hope it's gave u some ideas.

and of crouse read the user guide :)