Network Management

Regular Contributor I

Airwave Ignoring Down Devices

We are currently on Airwave version 7.5.4.  Our previous version allowed us to ignored any down device.  This became handy when ignoring down RAPs. 

Is there a similar feature for ignoring down devices on this version?  Are there plans to bring back that feature?

MVP

Re: Airwave Ignoring Down Devices

You should be able to add something like:

"device-type"  "is not" "Remote AP" to the alert trigger and the trigger will only fire for non remote APs.

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it

The typical use case was to ignore known down devices for the sake of the uptime reports or to reduce alert count.

This was replaced with the 'Enable Planned Downtime Mode' feature which is on each device's manage page.

ignore.jpg

You can also bulk select from the list view using the modify device wrench.

ignore2.jpg

Devices that are in planned downtime mode do not get counted as down for the device uptime report.  They also do not fire alerts when down.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Regular Contributor I

Where do the devices that are placed in Planned Downtime mode go?  I've checked the Ignored section and they are not there.

They stay in their group/folder.  The planned downtime mode merely flags the data so that you have the option to check / uncheck 'include devices in planned downtime mode' from the Device Uptime report.

Rob Gin
Regular Contributor I

We really don't use any type of reporting, we merely want to ignore devices that we know are down.  This could be due to construction in the area, etc.  But, we also need a central location where we can go and see all the devices that we have ignored.  This was possible in the previous version when the ignored option was available.

I know that I can put them in planned downtime mode, but I would have to go through the entire list of APs to see which have that flag. Is there a way to place them in a central location, like the ignored APs?

Quickest way to see this would be to go to APs/Devices list view.

Navigate to 'Top' (or whichever folder level you're focusing on)

Click on the 'Expand folders to show all APs/Devices'

Filter the 'status' column for 'Planned Down' (clicking the funnel will give you the drop down list).

planneddown.jpg

Once you filter down to only devices in planned down mode -> you can re-order the listing by folder or group

And then you can perform bulk modify by using the 'modify devices' wrench above the list table to get checkboxes.

Below the list table will be the option to enable/disable planned downtime mode.

Another way is to do this from the CLI:

# dbc 'select id, name from ap where planned_maintenance_mode=1;'

> This will give you a list of only the devices that are in planned downtime mode.

# dbc 'select id, name, ap_folder_id, ap_group_id from ap where planned_maintenance_mode=1 order by ap_folder_id;'

> Selects all devices in planned downtime mode, orders them by folder (can go a step further and translate the folder ids to name using an sql table join).

# dbc 'update ap set planned_maintenance_mode=0 where id in (1,2,10);'

> Quick way of unsetting planned downtime mode for multiple devices.  You can do the reverse by setting planned_maintenance_mode=1 to enable planned downtime mode.

Rob Gin
Regular Contributor I

I don't have that option in the GUI once the filter icon is clicked.

This option only shows when you've set some devices to 'planned downtime mode' on their manage page.

Rob Gin
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: