Network Management

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Incorrect Information

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Airwave Incorrect Information

Posted Apr 20, 2015 03:55 PM

After upgrading some controllers some information is correctly displayed but some isn't. For example firmware versions show up correctly but hardware type still displayes old model. Any ideas here? I've done "Poll Now" and "Import Settings." Sometimes it will notice the hardware change and ask for a reset and I do that was well but still the hardware type never updates.

• 2.  RE: Airwave Incorrect Information

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 20, 2015 05:30 PM

How was the replacement action performed?  The device type is only checked once at time of device add.  If you replace a device and use the same IP, this issue commonly happens.  Ideally, the replacement method is to change the IP address of the old controller entry, then add the controller in, and then use the replace hardware on controller manage page to join the 2 data sets together (and maintain historical data).  At this point, you should be able to do the same steps to get the correct device model to show.

• 3.  RE: Airwave Incorrect Information

Posted Apr 21, 2015 08:22 AM

Device was upgraded with the same IP and there is no replace device on the manage device page. Only options for these devices are Save and Apply, Revert, Delet, and Import Settings. So basically it'll have to stay with showing the incorrect hardware type unless we delete the device and re-add it but would cause us losing all data for that device eh?

Seems pretty dumb if that's indeed the case as it should be a simple as snmp walking the device just like it did with the firmware etc.

• 4.  RE: Airwave Incorrect Information

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 21, 2015 01:51 PM

So the mechanics set mac address and device types as permanents (to maintain a 2 value constant for which device is referenced between tables in the database).  That explains why it's only checked once at time of adding the device.

Now to workaround the current state, here's the steps for the workaround I suggested in my last post, but added details to it:

1) go to manage page for the controller that's showing wrong model

2) set IP to something else that won't respond to SNMP

3) in the db, set the lan_mac address to something different as well (this step is required in order to fake out the database for the replacement)

# dbc "update ap set lan_mac = '00:0B:86:11:11:11' where id=<ap_id>"

ap_id is gotten from existing controller entry's URL

4) go to device setup -> add

5) add the controller again (with correct IP)

6) confirm that it comes up with correct model

7) then go to the original controller entry (it should be reporting down by now) and do replace hardware, selecting the newer good controller entry as the replacement

This should keep historical data attached to the controller entry.

I ran through this in the lab and it works.  If you need assistance, you can open a support case and they can walk you through these steps.

Meanwhile, I'll open a discussion with the product team to try to come up with a way to address the issue of replacing hardware and reusing the same IP without having to perform this workaround to get the device type updated.