Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

Posted Mar 30, 2012 09:23 AM

Starting to play with Airwave ahead of installing for a customer. I've built a small Aruba network to monitor - 620 controller, 105-AP and a RAP-5WN and have an Airwave VM running on our LAN. Got Airwave to discover the devices ok using SNMP as per the user guide, my question is about why the AMP considers the configurations on all devices as "mismatched"?

AMP is set to monitor only and i havent defined anything on AMP by way of a configuration. I had assumed "out of the box" AMP would simply read the config from the devices being monitored - if asked to manage the devices, this config would be the starting point. But its almost as if AMP assumes devices it monitors should be in factory default or something??

Most confused......can anyone shed any light?

J

• 2.  RE: Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 30, 2012 09:27 AM

@jgriffiths wrote:

Starting to play with Airwave ahead of installing for a customer. I've built a small Aruba network to monitor - 620 controller, 105-AP and a RAP-5WN and have an Airwave VM running on our LAN. Got Airwave to discover the devices ok using SNMP as per the user guide, my question is about why the AMP considers the configurations on all devices as "mismatched"?

AMP is set to monitor only and i havent defined anything on AMP by way of a configuration. I had assumed "out of the box" AMP would simply read the config from the devices being monitored - if asked to manage the devices, this config would be the starting point. But its almost as if AMP assumes devices it monitors should be in factory default or something??

Most confused......can anyone shed any light?

J

It does that by default, even if you have done nothing.  If you want, you can go to AMP Setup and Uncheck "Mismatched" in the Top header.

• 3.  RE: Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

Posted Mar 30, 2012 09:30 AM

Jeez Louise that was a quick reply!!

Default behaviour - got it. I guess this would be useful if AMP was installed before the controllers / APs etc.

Again - thanks for the quick reply......no doubt additional questions to follow.....lol!

• 4.  RE: Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

Posted Mar 30, 2012 11:32 AM

Whether you're in monitor or managed mode, AirWave holds a default configuration for the Aruba controller.  It compares the received config from your controller with the default config to determine if there are any differences.  If so, you get a "mismatched" status.

If you go to APs/Devices -> Audit, you can see each configuration element, "Current Device Configuration", and the corresponding "Desired Configuration" from your desired config.

If you want, you can import your actual config as the desired config.  This way, you'll only get a mismatched status if you change the config on the controller.

From the Audit page, click Import to import the current config off the device.

I hope this helps.  

- Jay

• 5.  RE: Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

Posted Mar 30, 2012 11:51 AM

Worked a treat Jay - thanks - getting my head round this now!!

New question - is there anything special that needs to be done to monitor instant APs? Or can they just be added via SNMP discovery or indeed manually.

Again - thanks for the help people!! :)

• 6.  RE: Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

Posted Mar 31, 2012 12:21 PM

For Instant, you can go to Instant WebUI.

Click Settings, and then select Admin tab on popup.

In Airwave Section you can specify the AMP_Folder as Organization (you can use : to specify folder hierarchy)

AMP IP,

Shared key (any string) that would help you identify device (in the new device list)

IAP should appear in the new devices list.

• 7.  RE: Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

Posted Apr 01, 2012 11:54 AM

Clembo - thanks, that's great advice!

Ava - brilliant, thanks for the tip! Just so i know i understand - can i ask, by entering the details in the IAP as described, the IAP will register with the AMP under New Devices, identifying itself using the shared key entered on the IAP? So if I had several clusters of IAPs, on each VC enter "site1", "site2", "site3" and so on for the shared key on the IAP VCs - these IAPs will appear on the AMP new device list as "site1", "site2" etc. If each cluster has say 10 IAPs, will all IAPs appear or will they simpy be represented by the VC controlling the cluster?

Thanks again!! :)

• 8.  RE: Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

Posted Apr 02, 2012 11:06 AM

The reason for providing shared key on IAP is to avoid any rogue device to masquerade as an Aruba Instant device.

This shared key will appear as tooltip on new devices page when you try to authorize new device.

Organization string has more than just folder structure, I would recommend to read "Creating your Organization String" section of User Guide to exactly get the semantics of Organization String.

• 9.  RE: Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

Posted Apr 02, 2012 02:08 PM

Yes - after AMP details entered i.e. AMP IP and shared key on IAP setting -> detail page. it will generate a new GUID, which is the only unique identifier for the VC on AMP. it will registered with AMP under new devices list.

Organization string entered on VC setting ->admin e.g. Orgn, will automatically created a group and folder on AMP. once IAP VC device listed under new devices list, select the VC device and click on add from new device list, it will automatically pushed to group Orgn and folder Orgn.

if we are not provided organization string under VC setting ->admin. VC device will list under new device list, selecting the IAP device and click on add, it will automatically pushed to AMP default group and folder i.e. Access point and Top.

Second about VC cluster question:

No need to enter shared key on all IAPs under a VC cluster, one IAP will represent as Master VC, their only we need to enter the AMP details. only this Master VC will appear under AMP new device list. adding this Master VC to a group/folder on AMP,remaining IAPs under this cluster will automatically moved to its master VC group/folder on AMP.

Hope this answers your question  

• 10.  RE: Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

Posted Apr 02, 2012 03:16 PM

All great advice - thanks people!

Installl was today - just under 100 sites, around 700 devices in total.

2 IAP sites didn't register with AMP which i'm investigating at the moment, otherwise all good!

James

• 11.  RE: Airwave Noob.......Be Gentle!!

Posted Mar 30, 2012 01:03 PM

To add to Jay's response.   That will work until you make a change on the controller; and thus the AP.  At which time it will result in a mismatch again.   To avoid the messsages altogether in a monitor only AIrWave deployment, edit the group properties that your devices are in.....and under the audit configuration of devices selection choose No.