Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave Reporting

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Airwave Reporting

Posted Nov 28, 2012 03:10 PM

In Airwave, is the max number of clients (first splash screen -upper left)

the max number connections that are authenticated?

Or does it include the drive bys?  -Those that have iPhones in the mode that connects to anything..even if they are not authentcated (going thru the guest page process-amigopod)?

I need to provide metrics to management on how many people even *touch* our network...  versus those that authenticate.

Ian

• 2.  RE: Airwave Reporting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 28, 2012 06:09 PM

Correct.  The graph represents only authenticated users.

Catching the unauth'd users is a tricky feat and not recommended.  The disclaimer is that for every user AMP tracks, there's several flat files generated, so unless you have unlimited disk space, you won't want to attempt this (this is the same hard disk problem that airports and hotspot providers run into requiring aggressive historical data retention age outs).  But for the sake of curiosity, the way to catch these would be to create an open SSID, and make sure the access vlan of that SSID doesn't allow any network access.

• 3.  RE: Airwave Reporting

Posted Nov 29, 2012 10:57 AM

Similarly... if ive got an open SSID which terminates on an Aruba captive portal, is the graph showing me only authenticated users on this service?

I've been using this to plan IP leasing capacity... but clearly if it's not showing me un-athenticated users I'll need to try something else.

• 4.  RE: Airwave Reporting

Posted Nov 29, 2012 11:02 AM

Further too... I have checked and it appears that if i search Airwave for clients it does return those in our "captive" role - which is a pre-auth state... 

• 5.  RE: Airwave Reporting

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 30, 2012 09:56 AM

All users that show up in the clients tab are counted toward the total clients count.  The home page graph may be showing you total users, unless you toggle it to show only those connected to the open SSID.  If that open SSID is spread campus wide, but you want to see how many associations are in a particular site, make sure the APs of that site are in a separate folder (possibly sub-folder) as the Home Overview shows the total for all buildings in AMP.  Once you do this, you can navigate to the folder and see the count for just the site you want to focus on.