Network Management

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave - SNMP traps from Instant AP

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Airwave - SNMP traps from Instant AP

Posted Apr 22, 2016 04:01 AM

Dear all,

I get a very high number of SNMP traps from all our Instant APs on my Airwaves.

I didn't configure a SNMP trap host, so I'm wondering a little bit about this.

These are traps like

"wlsxNUserEntryCreated wlsxTrapUserIpAddress.0: 10.xx.xx.xx,wlsxTrapUserPhyAddress.0: 00:00:40:9A:00:00"

and other wlsx messages.

Is it possible to modify these messages to a more readable syntax?

And is it also possible to disable some of these messages to get less traps in the Airwave?

Thanks a lot!

Sven

• 2.  RE: Airwave - SNMP traps from Instant AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2016 07:37 AM

EDIT:

Do you have your instant APs in Monitor (Airwave is just monitoring) or Manage (Airwave is managing configuration)?

Information on how to configure SNMP traps is here:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_41_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/Log_servers_monitoring/SNMPTraps.htm  You can also turn them off.

Unfortunately you cannot make the syntax more readable, but airwave interprets a small subset of some traps like authentication failures and does translate them to a counter or a message in Airwave.  Even though SNMP traps signify an event, not all events require action or are meaningful.

I know that doesn't seem helpful, but I hope it provides more clarity.

• 3.  RE: Airwave - SNMP traps from Instant AP

Posted Apr 22, 2016 08:04 AM

They are all in full managed mode.

• 4.  RE: Airwave - SNMP traps from Instant AP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2016 09:40 AM

When in fully managed mode, traps are sent to airwave and this is not configurable.  It is thought that Airwave will be the single point for management and configuration and that simply making it managed turns all those capabilities on...

• 5.  RE: Airwave - SNMP traps from Instant AP

Posted Apr 22, 2016 09:52 AM

Okay, thank you for this response!

But I have to say that it is not very readable by default and it could be very helpful to setup the messages for each OID manually so 1st level and hotline admins can better work with them.

Sven

• 6.  RE: Airwave - SNMP traps from Instant AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 22, 2016 10:31 AM

Agreed.

The "events" is for people who are interested in the raw events, and those are listed all the way at the bottom.  Most of the events like Rogue AP discovery, authentications failures, etc is tablulated and presented by Airwave in the application itself.  Those are the screens that the helpdesk should be using.

airwave-ids2.png

airwave-ids3.png