Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave and HP MSM Wireless Controllers

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Airwave and HP MSM Wireless Controllers

Posted Apr 12, 2016 06:53 PM

Can anyone tell me what the status of Airwave monitoring MSM wireless is?

The Airwave 8.0.10 release notes list the MSM775 as a newly supported device.  The "AirWave 8.0 | Supported Infrastructure Devices" guide doesn't mention the 775, but mentions other controllers as being "Validated up to software version 5.7.2.0".  Talking to Airwave tech support they were able to find some documentation that said version 6.3 software was the latest supported MSM firmware.  6.3 came out in 2014, and my controllers are currently running 6.6.2 since about Dec 2015.

I saw adding the MSM775 support to 8.0 as recent indication of intent to support MSM in Airwave, and I thought that was a nice gesture.  Sure the MSM wireless we've been using is being EOL'ed soon, but airwave can kind of bridge the gap between MSM wireless and new Aruba wireless as we install it.  But if the most recent firmware supported is from 2014, that would make it appear that it's no longer a priority to maintain support in Airwave for MSM controllers.

Those conflicting pieces of information are why I ask this question, and wonder if there's hope of 6.6 firmware ever being officially supported by Airwave?

• 2.  RE: Airwave and HP MSM Wireless Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 13, 2016 10:52 AM

HP MSM 775 firmware support should be for the latest release available back in November (which was when the support was added).  Are you seeing discrepancies in data when you added the MSM for monitoring?

• 3.  RE: Airwave and HP MSM Wireless Controllers

Posted Apr 13, 2016 11:37 AM

We've gpt both a team of MSM775 controllers and a team of MSM765 controllers.  Both are running the 6.6.2 firmware. With both, I will look up the record for my laptop or my phone's mac address, and see how the connection history it shows matches with how I remember spending my day.  There will be times when I know I went to another building for an hour long meeting and was using the device on the network, and I don't see that connection in Airwave.  That seems to affect both of the controller teams. The 765 team has an additional problem which is that sometimes Airwave will have trouble contacting it with SNMP.  That of course accounts for some of the cases where I know my phone has been connected somewhere and Airwave doesn't show it, and it also makes it look like half of our AP's are offline when it's in this state.

I have tickets open on the 765 issue with both Airwave support and the MSM wireless support group.

• 4.  RE: Airwave and HP MSM Wireless Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 13, 2016 11:44 AM

Thanks for the update.  With SNMP issues, it sometimes helps to increase the window of time for SNMP response.  What's the SNMP Timeout configured to on Device Setup -> Communication?  And how many SNMP fetchers are configured on AMP Setup -> General -> Performance?

• 5.  RE: Airwave and HP MSM Wireless Controllers

Posted Apr 14, 2016 03:43 PM

It's set to 50sec timeout and 25 retries.  It's set to 2 SNMP Fetchers.

Right now, looking at the logs for the MSM765 it hasn't had trouble contacting it since Tuesday (It's now Thursday).

• 6.  RE: Airwave and HP MSM Wireless Controllers

Posted Apr 14, 2016 04:30 PM

Am I supposed to send Airwave SNMP Traps from the controller?  Is there a list anywhere that documents what traps AirWave supports receiving from MSM controllers?  There's no point in sending it any traps that it won't understand.