Network Management

Occasional Contributor I

Airwave and IAPs dropping randomly

First off, lets get the disclaimer out of the way.   We are very new to the Airwave / Aruba scene when it comes to wireless and switches.  If I ask something dumb, please hold it against me... haha.

Anyways to the questions.

I actually waited to ask this question after I got 7.7.2 installed in the off change that the new version fixed our problem.  I don't remember this happening with 7.6.3

Every now and again all of our IAPS including the VC will show offline in Airwave.  There is no specific time that this happens and it seems to cycle through our buildings(We have 9 locations).  I've also been getting some reports of clients getting randomly disconnected from the wireless.  I can't say with 100% certainty that the times directly relate to Airwave reporting that location down though.

My question is has anyone experienced this issue in the past?  The switches that I have configured in Airwave NEVER show down randomly.  I see no errors on any of the switch ports or in our WAN connections to each building that would cause this.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Kenny Milan

Dyer County Schools

Technology Director

Re: Airwave and IAPs dropping randomly

These are best tracked by opening a support case.  This way you'll have a dedicated contact focused on your issue.  Easy way is to send email to support@arubanetworks.com

Things to look at:

- double check VC https timeout (Groups list -> select group that VC is in -> Basic tab -> Aruba Instant setting box)

- what's the time frames of the reported events (on the VC and AP monitor pages, look at the event log at the bottom of the page)

- check for any communication problems between the IAPs and AMP over port 443.  any network inconsistencies or latency issues?

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Occasional Contributor I

Rob,

Thanks for the quick response. 

1.  I checked the https timeout and it was set at 1 minute.  I'm assuming that is the default time.

2.  The event log shows down and up in the same second in the report.  It seems a little fishy to me.

Thu Aug 1 11:04:10 2013SystemStatus changed to 'OK'
Thu Aug 1 11:04:10 2013SystemUp
Thu Aug 1 11:04:10 2013SystemStatus changed to 'Virtual Controller has not checked in for more than 1 minute'
Thu Aug 1 11:04:10 2013SystemDown
Thu Aug 1 11:04:10 2013SystemDevice Down: Device: FCES-VC: All device types (Critical)
Thu Aug 1 10:18:10 2013SystemStatus changed to 'OK'

3.  I don't think this is an https issue because I lose the local VC on the network that the Airwave box is on included remote sites.  All of our sites are 1Gb fiber with now firewalls or content filtering between them.

I changed the https timeout to 5 minutes just to see if it still reports Down/Up like the log above shows.

If it does it at 5 minutes, I will put in a support request as you suggested.

Sounds good to me.  Please update this thread if it turns out that increasing the timeout was the solution.

Rob Gin
MVP

How often does the iAP check in with Airwave?

I have the impression that it's longer than 1 minute -- perhaps setting the timeout to twice the check-in interval?

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it

The messages inbound at a minute interval, but processing of the payloads sometimes takes longer than the minute.  The timing increases based on amount of data needed to process across the allocated processing threads (see AMP Setup -> General tab -> Performance box -> Monitoring Processes)

Rob Gin
Occasional Contributor I

Just wanted to post here and say that setting the delay to 5 minutes seems to fix the problem.

Thanks all for your help.

New Contributor

Did the change fix the problem or mask and underlying problem. We were seeing the same issue, but it turned out to be a spanning tree problem. Can I ask what switches are you using.

New Contributor

I've the same problem and the time out for HTTPS is at 5 minutes and the IAP still goes down random and it take more than 2 to 4 hour to get online "UP" - notice: there are no network problems,

Wed Sep 7 13:00:06 2016     System     Device     Aruba AP 103 mpt-mpico-iap-01 Status changed to 'Virtual Controller is Down'
Wed Sep 7 13:00:06 2016     System     Device     Aruba AP 103 mpt-mpico-iap-01 Down     
Wed Sep 7 13:00:06 2016     System     Device     Aruba Instant Virtual Controller mpt-mpico-vc-01 Status changed to 'Virtual Controller has not checked in for more than 5 minutes'
Wed Sep 7 13:00:06 2016     System     Device     Aruba Instant Virtual Controller mpt-mpico-vc-01 Down

Guru Elite

Please open a TAC case.  We would only be guessing about the myriad of things that could be causing your problem.  The post before yours was 3 years ago and might not be valid for your circumstances.  TAC would help narrow your issue down.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: