Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

Posted Nov 12, 2012 04:55 PM

that is the error I am getting but my clock is the correct time

[root@aw-1 mercury]# clock
    Mon 12 Nov 2012 04:53:57 PM EST  -0.865538 seconds
    [root@aw-1 mercury]# date
    Mon Nov 12 16:54:02 EST 2012

Any ideas? AMP setup has 2 NTP servers setup

• 2.  RE: Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

Posted Nov 13, 2012 06:45 AM

What version of AMP are you running? We too see a difference between clock and data on our server, but don't get this error message.

• 3.  RE: Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

Posted Nov 13, 2012 08:25 AM

Version 7.5.5

• 4.  RE: Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 13, 2012 10:34 AM

The time error shows up when the RRDs have an update time in the future of what the AMP time is (with a 10 minute leeway for this).  There's a sanity check during nightly_maintenance before creating the backup that verifies the time stamp of the RRD compared to system time.

[root@amp mercury]# cd /var/airwave/rrd/

[root@amp rrd]# cat rrd_check | wc -l

For a server that's performing optimally, the rrd_check file should be empty (above command should yield '0').  If you see a large numerical value, then you most likely want to get support involved.

I think with the number of RRDs you have, it's probably taking over 10 minutes to check through all their time stamps, this means that the files are already updating to the current time stamp with current data post nightly_maintenance start time, which may be the reason you're seeing the error.  A good way to check how long it takes to run through all the RRDs is to run this command:

cd /var/airwave/rrd; time find . -type f | wc -l

If the time exceeds 10 minutes, then you'll want to get support to patch your system.

• 5.  RE: Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

Posted Nov 15, 2012 07:26 PM

took 5 min and the error disappeared the next day after the RRDs cleared themselves up.

good to know as we are going to be getting more customers with Airwave to manage TONS of APs.

I just wish there was a better tuning guide or advanced tuning guide for Airwave and the Airwave training course is not enough

• 6.  RE: Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 15, 2012 09:16 PM

That's right, because you had changed your HDR to age out some of the RRDs, AMP is able to scan through them faster.

The topic of having a tuning guide has come up frequently.  Our technical publications team has been working on several new documents that will be released with 7.6 that may have more of what you're looking for.  But as always, it doesn't hurt to keep putting requests into the Idea Portal on the support website.

• 7.  RE: Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

Posted Nov 16, 2012 08:04 AM

Seems as though 7.6 is a long time coming. A lot of stuff coming I assume.

• 8.  RE: Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2012 09:46 AM

Yup.  7.6 should be available near the end of this month.  It's currently still in the beta testing phase.  If you're interested in running beta code in the future, you can email betafeedback@arubanetworks.com to get added to our beta list.  Note that we strongly suggest running beta code in lab / proof of concept environments only (if you have the resources).  So as not to discourage it, we do have several beta testers who run it in production that we work closely with.

• 9.  RE: Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

Posted Nov 16, 2012 10:22 AM

I would be more than happy to beta test. My company is a channel-partner with Aruba.

I will send them an email

Thanks!

• 10.  RE: Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2012 10:50 AM

That was quick!  I just noticed that the beta email has in bold: 'Please do not install this beta release in a production environment.'

• 11.  RE: Airwave clock error but clock is correct?

Posted Nov 16, 2012 10:59 AM

Saw that too!!