Network Management

MVP

Airwave failover restore process

In order to restore a failover airwave back to being a failover. The process is to restore the nightly backup in the /watcher directory on the fialover Airwave to make it a failover AMP again correct?

What happens if I don't have a /watcher directory on the failover Airwave and it is currently acting as a failover Airwave?

In my failover Airwave, the /var/airwave-backup/ directory has nightly_data00x.tar.gz backups in it though but like I said no watcher directory but I have a watched_amps directory

I am using AMP version 7.5.6

On another customer's Airwave:

My other failover AMP which is version 7.5.5 has a watcher directory.

ANy ideas?

Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]

Re: Airwave failover restore process

I would exclude all backups in the main /var/airwave-backup directory since they get over-ridden when the system is acting as an AMP.  Both 7.5.5 and 7.5.6 should behave in the same way having a watcher folder (this folder is created on the fly when the AMP is being converted into an AMP).  Not having a 'watcher' folder leads me to believe that the failover event didn't happen, or that we're possibly looking at the AMP and not the Failover.  I'm going to try a quick reproduction in the lab to make sure.  Will update again after a test run.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company

Just checked on the test run.  During the failover event, the Failover AMP generates a backup on the fly: /var/airwave-backup/watcher/nightly_data.tar.gz; this is done prior to restoring the AMP backup.  The size of the failover backup is typically very small since the Failover AMP shouldn't have much data.  If you're unable to find this backup, it's worthwhile to open a support case.

Rob Gin
MVP

I can probably safely assume that the failover event never happened hence why their is no /watcher folder.

I will have to request a maintenance window with the customer to validate this.

The reason I ask is because we have developped a script to offload the AMP backup files 1 time a week to another server.

I would like to back up the failover backup so that I can restore it as a failover....

ACDX #420 | ACMP

The problem you'll run into is that the failover backup is created on the fly, so any script would have to react to that event.  Another approach, since the failover doesn't collect any extra data besides AMP up/down status, take a backup of the failover immediately once you have it watching all the AMPs you want it to watch.

One way to do this would be to force nightly maintenance to run at that time:

# nightly_maintenance

When you run the nightly maintenance script, the new backup generated will be /var/airwave-backup/nightly_data001.tar.gz

This backup would serve as your failover backup until you make any changes on the failover.  Going the scripted route would be doing extra work that's unnecessary.

Rob Gin
MVP

Revisiting this topic and read my initial post, wow I was confusing :P

What we are doing is the following:

Primary AMP server -> backing up /var/airwave-backup/nightly_data001.tar.gz

Failover AMP server -> backing up /var/airwave-backup/watcher/nightly_data.tar.gz

Therefore in the event of a failure of both servers, we can restore both very easily, does this make sense?

ACDX #420 | ACMP

Your Failover AMP server backup would fail.  Remember, the Failover AMP's backup in /watcher is only present after a Failover event has happened.  So before that, the file to backup would just be of /var/airwave-backup/nightly_data001.tar.gz on the Failover AMP.  

And when backing up the Failover AMP, you don't need to take a new backup of the Failover AMP everyday.  To save your disk space, you can just take the backup once you have the Failover AMP setup as desired.  If disk space is unlimited, go ahead and take infinite backups of the Failover AMP (you'll note that the size of Failover AMP backups is very small compared to an AMP backup, so any Failover AMP backups that come back larger will have been post Failover).

Rob Gin
MVP

Good information.

I know that in the watcher directory, the file contained there is to restore the failover AMP as a failover AMP.

What happens if the failover AMP does not have a file in that watcher directory but only the regular nightly backup file.

To restore this server, I would need to restore that particular backup correct?

ACDX #420 | ACMP

Correct.  The Failover will have regular backups in /var/airwave-backup until the Failover event.  So the regular backups that are made prior to the Failover event will be the ones for the Failover server.  After the Failover event, the backup in /var/airwave-backup/watcher would be used for the restoring the Failover AMP, while the /var/airwave-backup files eventually become that of the failed AMP (it takes 4 days to age out the original Failover backups from /var/airwave-backup which is why the backup in /var/airwave-backup/watcher was created).

Rob Gin
Frequent Contributor I

Hi,

Here's a scenario:

Server 1 is master, Server 2 is backiup.

One day, Server 1 is taken offline to change ram, server 2 will be the new master, right? ___

Server 1 was rebooted and brought online.

Thus, Server 1 would be the new backup and server 2 will remain as themaster, right? ___

In this case, should we leave Server 1 to be the backup or it is recommended to swing it back as the new master? ___

"If there's a will, there's a way."
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: