Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave in dedicated WIPS environment

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Airwave in dedicated WIPS environment

Posted Sep 12, 2012 04:19 AM

Hello,

I have a client who is currently running a POC with a controller and several APs in monitor mode. His goal is to build a dedicated WIPS/IDS system, comprised of dual  controllers and several hundreds Active Monitors. No WiFi access is planned.

His question is this: in this specific environment, will Airwave bring any additional value over the controller functionality? It seems that all the rogue AP/client detection and notification mechanisms are already covered by the controller software; Airwave appears to be redundant in that area.

Can anyone please share his opinion on this matter?

Thanks a lot,

Yuly

• 2.  RE: Airwave in dedicated WIPS environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2012 07:25 AM

Airwave offers considerable abilities with WIP with its RAPIDS module.  Click on the RAPIDS tab within Airwave and then click on Help.

• 3.  RE: Airwave in dedicated WIPS environment

Posted Sep 12, 2012 07:44 AM

Thanks, but unfortunately I do not have a system by my side. My question is more about the differences between the build-in controller WIPS capabilities (with RFProtect) and the RAPIDS of Airwave.

Thanks a gain,

Yuly

• 4.  RE: Airwave in dedicated WIPS environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 12, 2012 08:14 AM

I do not have a document that specifically spells out the difference between Airwave and Controller-based WIPS.  The link to the Airwave documentation is here:  http://support.arubanetworks.com/DOCUMENTATION/tabid/77/DMXModule/512/Command/Core_Download/Default.aspx?EntryId=8543

Please look under the RAPIDs section in that document.

• 5.  RE: Airwave in dedicated WIPS environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2012 11:22 AM

The easiest way to think about the differences is that AirWave has a hard drive and will give you long term data storage.  The controller does not.

There are lots of other subtle differences.  AirWave can poll routers/switches for bridge forwarding data and ARP data allowing you to find out more information about rogue devices.  AirWave has much more flexible rules for device classification.  AirWave has additional triggers and reports to keep your network secure.  I would strongly recommend using AirWave in a high security environment like you have described.