Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave report for smartphone OS version

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Airwave report for smartphone OS version

Posted Jun 28, 2016 09:31 AM

Is it possible to create a report in Airwave that shows how many smartphone devices are on a specific OS version, for example Android version 6? I have done a Client Inventory report with Device OS Detail Summary included, but looking at the table called "Device OS Detail" it looks like the various smartphone manufacturers report OS versions differently because I have over a hundred entries like these:

Linux; Android 5.1.1; SM-G920F Build/LRX22C

Linux; U; Android 4.3; SM-G900F Build/JSS15J

Linux; U; Android 5.0.1; GT-I9505 Build/LRX22C

Also, out of the 100444 devices in the report, over 70000 are listed as Unknown for both Device Manufacturer, Device Model and Device OS. Is this normal?

• 2.  RE: Airwave report for smartphone OS version

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 28, 2016 04:39 PM

You'll probably have better luck getting this data from the database and putting it into a CSV:

1) straight to csv:

# dbcsv 'select mac, device_os, device_os_detail from client_first_last order by device_os desc, mac asc;' >> /tmp/clientos.csv

2) if you want to see it:

# dbc 'select mac, device_os, device_os_detail from client_first_last order by device_os desc, mac asc;'

• 3.  RE: Airwave report for smartphone OS version

Posted Jun 29, 2016 03:03 AM

Tried that, but the CSV file was not much more helpful than the report. For most of the clients this was the only info listed:

E8:50:8B:BB:D8:51,,

I am guessing that this would explain the large number of unknowns in the report. Is this to be expected, or is it a sign that there is something wrong with our setup? If I search for that MAC address in Airwave GUI it tells me that it is a Samsung Android device, so it looks like there is more info in the database than the report and (your db command) give me.

• 4.  RE: Airwave report for smartphone OS version

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 29, 2016 10:35 AM

The large number of unknowns could be from an association that didn't get a header response for device type parsing.  Also, there's several other columns in the client_first_last table that include the other info in the client detail page, I was just trying to get after the OS type, but if you want device type, there's aruba_device_type, device_type, device_manufacturer, device_model, user_agent_string fields as well.  For the 2 device type fields, the aruba_device_type is what the controller parses the client as, while the other field is what AirWave parses the device type as.  User agent string is the full response from the device.

You can add the fields into the query and see what output you get.  Query might look something like this for example (did not include all fields):

# dbc "select mac, vendor, device_type, device_manufacturer, device_model, device_os, device_os_detail from client_first_last where device_model != '' order by device_os desc, mac asc;"

or you can get the entire table:

# dbc "select * from client_first_last;"