Network Management

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave report "Max usage in/out for

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Airwave report "Max usage in/out for

Posted Sep 20, 2016 10:37 AM

Airwave report of "Max usage in/out for <SSID>" - what does it actually mean?

where is the measurement taking place?

is it between AP and client?

is it between client and end point (i.e. netflix/cnn, etc)?

is it between client and client? (i.e. laptop to laptop transfer across wi-fi)?

my situation is I have Wi-Fi on Cruise ships and airwave reporting a max in usage of 30.38 Mbps and a max out usage of 19.91 Mbps for a given SSID, and i need more information as to where the measurement is taking place so i can troubleshoot, upgrade, etc, the system.

thanks in advance

max usage in 9-20-2016.png

• 2.  RE: Airwave report "Max usage in/out for

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Sep 23, 2016 06:38 AM

I've had a look and found the following, it doesn't give the exact answer but I would expect it to be to/from the AP + client.

usage.JPG

• 3.  RE: Airwave report "Max usage in/out for

Posted Sep 23, 2016 09:08 AM

that was what i initially thought, and what my team seems to think, but if that is the case, then the AP's are not working right, since the highest we have seen is 88Mbps, instead of up to the 1.3Gbps 802.11ac connection should be pushing.

that is why i brought it up to the community, I believe it is somewhere else. because even if it was between the controller and the client, speeds should be higher, for the same reasons. we have a Gig connection from WLC>Switch>AP.

thank you for your response, but i think it is more than just AP to Client.

• 4.  RE: Airwave report "Max usage in/out for

Posted Sep 27, 2016 06:14 PM

What is the used channel? Because unless it is 80MHz or 160MHz (really unlikely), the theoretical speed of 1.3Gbps is not attainable. For 40MHz highest obtainable in theory is 600Mbps but if you have a dense deployment, chances are that you are using 20MHz channels and max is less than 300Mbps for clients.

• 5.  RE: Airwave report "Max usage in/out for

Posted Sep 28, 2016 08:18 AM

ac has 80Mhz channels on 5 Ghz, n has 40Mhz on both 2.4 and 5. but either way, all of those have higher theoretical speeds than we are seeing if it is measured between AP and Client. so even on 20Mhz channels, under 300Mhz speeds, we have yet to see anything that high. so my original question still stands, what does this measurement mean, where is taken between? and why cant i find the answer easily, or be given it from someone who knwos?

• 6.  RE: Airwave report "Max usage in/out for

Posted May 08, 2020 01:53 PM
      |   view attached

I have this same question now, and I can't find a definitive answer to it.  

When looking at the client usage graph in airwave, which direction is "IN" and which direction is "OUT"  ?

Is traffic FROM the client TO the access point "IN"  or  "OUT"  ?

Thanks!

• 7.  RE: Airwave report "Max usage in/out for

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 08, 2020 03:45 PM

Hi Kevin,

I am not sure from where you are getting this usage graph..Check this link for details https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Monitoring-Management-Location/Total-Input-Output-usage-difference/ta-p/555232