Network Management

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave to Airwave Failover Bandwidth Requirements

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Airwave to Airwave Failover Bandwidth Requirements

Posted Nov 09, 2015 02:41 PM

Hi All,

Just about to start a project where a new Airwave server, and its counterpart failover server will be communicating across a WAN where bandwith is a premium resource.

We would like to estimate before we deploy, the amount of bandwidth the Airwave servers might pass between each other, say in Kbps or Mbps blended over the course of a day (not too concerned about burst). Note I mean the servers talking to each other, rather than comms to/from network devices etc.

I appreciate this might be difficult to guess at. Does anybody know if there's any literature or calculating tools for this specifically?

If there isn't would anybody like to hazard a rough guess based on the following known variables?

1. Approximately 25000 wireless endpoint (client device) anticipated.

2. Approximately 3500 network devices, mostly IAPs and APs, with 6x7000 series controllers.

3. Global estate, so user count should be blended around the clock and mostly even, with a 50% spike during GMT hours 8am-5pm.

4. All polling/sampling left at Airwave defaults.

5. Default data retention, and AMON enabled.

Any thoughts would be great.

• 2.  RE: Airwave to Airwave Failover Bandwidth Requirements

Posted Nov 09, 2015 03:00 PM
    First thing that comes to mind is the failover server will be pulling the backup of the primary server every night. Therefore with that many clients and HDR left to default, the backup size will play a factor (could be and will be in the Gb). You need to think about speed of transfer.
    The failover servers acts a failover so not much (i think) data is passed to it each day besides status polling (of the primary) and the daily backup it retrieves.
    Failover server monitors the primary server over http (so that should be open).
    No literature that I am aware of.

What is the speed of the WAN link?

• 3.  RE: Airwave to Airwave Failover Bandwidth Requirements

Posted Nov 10, 2015 04:22 AM

Thanks for the input.

The WAN link is 1Gbps between sites, but it already caries lots of data. We don't have exact stats and is shared.

Is there anyway to guess at the backup file size using the metrics I gave?

• 4.  RE: Airwave to Airwave Failover Bandwidth Requirements
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 10, 2015 07:24 AM
    I have an Airwave with HDR turned down to 14 days for the heavy stuff like client data retention. Around 2400 devices and roughly 30k clients daily and my backups are 14Gb...which I've had to modify so it only backups 3 times a week.

• 5.  RE: Airwave to Airwave Failover Bandwidth Requirements

Posted Nov 10, 2015 08:19 AM

Nice. Thanks.

Out of interest, is that AW a VM? If so, what resources did you give it?

• 6.  RE: Airwave to Airwave Failover Bandwidth Requirements

Posted Nov 10, 2015 09:15 AM
    It is hardware based.

Dell 710
    2x E5-2665 2.4Ghz 8 cores
    1Tb RAID-10 worth of drive space
    64Gb of Ram

Way over spec at the time but it has proved to be worth it because we used to run out of diskspace all the time.

Actually looking at the server now I see 50719 clients....
    Backups are now 17Gb.

It probably needs TAC to go over it to see if it can patch it because I know we have lots of corrupts RRDs so that is probably why the backups are so big
    I have been doing manual cleaning but I get busy....