Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Airwave upgrade question

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Airwave upgrade question

Posted Feb 05, 2014 09:20 AM

Hi,

I'm using Airwave in version 7.5.3 with CentOS release 5.5 x86_64 and I would upgrade to Airwave 7.7.9.

I read the HOWTO "Migrating Airwave from CentOS5.5 to CentOS6.2" and my question is :

Can I backup my Airwave 7.5.3 then make a fresh install of Airwave 7.7.9 with CentOS6.2 and then import my 7.5.3 backup ?

Thanks a lot. Seb.

• 2.  RE: Airwave upgrade question
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 05, 2014 10:56 AM

Not advised.  The backup is particular to that version's data schema.  By 7.7.9, the database tables may have added, renamed, deleted, migrated, or other manner of changes due to different feature requirements.  Restoring an older versions data into a newer release is not a suggested or tested upgrade method.  You should pull a 7.5.3 backup (as precaution), then upgrade from 7.5.3 to 7.7.9, take a 7.7.9 backup, and then migrate the OS.

• 3.  RE: Airwave upgrade question
    Best Answer

Posted Feb 05, 2014 11:13 AM

I don't think you can go from 7.5.3 to 7.7.9 as the OS version is different. I may be off.

My suggestion is to do the following and it is probably the safest route, upgrade to 7.6.5, take a backup.

Re-install from ISO 7.6.5 so you get CentOS 6, restore your backup, then upgrade to 7.7.2 then upgrade to 7.7.9. Take another backup

I've done this and depending on how big your backup is can be pretty quick to a couple of hours.

It seems like overkill but I have run into issues upgrading from 7.6.5 directly to 7.7.6+

• 4.  RE: Airwave upgrade question

Posted Feb 07, 2014 10:48 AM

Thank for your advice, I will try to do it with you method.

My daily backup is around 1 Gb, I will try to clean some logs to reduce size.

Now next week I have to migrate from my two old Aruba 6000 to two new 7220 with a maintenance window of 30 min  ... I think Airwave upgrade will wait a bit :smileyembarrassed:

• 5.  RE: Airwave upgrade question

Posted Feb 24, 2014 01:29 AM

Hi Rob,

Is this true for 7.5.4 CentOS release 5.5 x86_64 to 7.7.9 CentOS 6.2? Is it safe to follow the upgrade path of 7.5.4 to 7.7.9? or 7.5.4>7.6.5>7.7.9? Which comes first upgrading the firmware version or upgrading the CentOS?

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

Dante Aguilar

• 6.  RE: Airwave upgrade question

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 24, 2014 12:14 PM

If possible, I like to upgrade the OS first since it's the more complicated / time consuming procedure.  Then I upgrade from 7.5.4 to 7.7.9 directly (as we support skipping 1 release between upgrades).  As @pmonardo says -> you have the option to do the intermediate step which would take care of the intermediate database migrations which could possibly speed up the upgrade process, but it's an extra step that's based on your preference.

Here's the practice that I do in the lab:

If you're doing this upgrade and trying to use the same server post upgrade...

1) Take the backup off server -> change the name to explicitly have version and date

-> additional things to note: ifconfig eth0, cat /var/airwave/license/license.txt

2) Reinstall server on same version, double check the OS version post install

3) Restore the backup, check to see if you need to reapply the license key

4) Check the data is recording and working properly (make sure to check VisualRF)

5) Upgrade to 7.7.9

6) Check the data again (make sure to check VisualRF)

If you choose to hit 7.6.5 inbetween, I would add as 2 steps, the upgrade and then the system sanity check.

• 7.  RE: Airwave upgrade question

Posted May 16, 2014 09:14 AM

Hi ,

im on 7.7.5 , i can go directly to 7.7.11 while nothing else is stated in release notes ,

releasenotes is sometimes confusing e.g. the stuff with centOS 5.5 and centOS 6.2 , while releasenotes says upgrading from the last 2 versions is supported, so people will pitfall here.

would like to see a document in the /documentation area or releasenotes itself showing the hints , and not only the KB .