Network Management

last person joined: 22 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

ArubaOS upgrade - AP PWR now amber

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  ArubaOS upgrade - AP PWR now amber

Posted Nov 06, 2017 07:41 AM

HI Guys,

We upgraded our controller code from 6.4.2 to 6.4.4.16 yeaterday.

All went ok exceprt for the APs are now flashing amder for PWR.

Contacted TAC - their response is as below - 

From the latest code it would be a default behavior for the to show up in amber light if the APs are not getting AT standard power. But this should not affect the functionality for the APs supporting AF power.

If the AP gets the AT standard power it would show up as green.

All our switches are 3750X. Controller 7220 and AP 225.

Has anyone of you come across this issue after upgrade or have any ideas to share please ?

Regards,

Sheikh

• 2.  RE: ArubaOS upgrade - AP PWR now amber

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 07:56 AM

Do you have LLDP enabled on your switchports?  That is how the AP negotiates higher-powered POE.

• 3.  RE: ArubaOS upgrade - AP PWR now amber

Posted Nov 06, 2017 08:11 AM

Thanks Colin. I had a feeling that you would pick this up before anyone else.

Now, following this cisco document ( https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3750x_3560x/software/release/12-2_53_se/configuration/guide/3750xscg/swlldp.html ) I ahev enabled LLDP on a port that has AP connected with amber light. Once I ahve added the config on the port and saved it - amber light still remains. I have not enabled LLDP globaly or have not shut/unshut the port.

Regards,

Sheikh

• 4.  RE: ArubaOS upgrade - AP PWR now amber

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 06, 2017 08:15 AM

You should reboot the AP.  The LLDP negotiation takes place on startup.

You can also check the POE status of the AP by following the instructions here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controllerless-Networks/PoE-problem-IAP-325-on-PoE-ports-are-only-using-15-watts-instead/m-p/290781#M17746

• 5.  RE: ArubaOS upgrade - AP PWR now amber
    Best Answer

Posted Nov 07, 2017 04:37 AM

Hi Colin,

I have figured it out yesteday.

Running lldp command on ports and shut/no shut on the port did not work.

I have checked power availability ( Sh power inline ) and 30 watts was available but because the AP 225 could not talk to the switch over LLDP, it was not getting the max power available.

I had to then enable LLDP globally ( lldp run ) and give it a minute, all aps then negotiated and started using 23.8W. I then didsabled LLDP ( No lldp run ) and its been fine since then. Power supply for these switches had to be 1100w rather than the standard 715w to ensure plenty of power is available for these APs. I know that when we add a new AP, we may have to enable LLDP and disable it once negotiated for power.

Glad that it worked. Many thanks for your help Colin.

Regards,

Sheikh