Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Backup-airwave won't revert to being a failover server

This thread has been viewed 5 times
  • 1.  Backup-airwave won't revert to being a failover server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 26, 2015 04:12 PM

At some point the airwave failover server bacame active.  It kind of went unoticed cause there was never any problem with the primary as far as I know.

I can't seem to get this failover server to revert back to being a failover.  I've tried 'amp_disable' and rebooted but it still comes back as active.

Any advice?

Http and https is allowed between the two is fine, although I've just noticed that icmp is blocked.

• 2.  RE: Backup-airwave won't revert to being a failover server
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2015 06:23 AM

Hi Michael

failover amps dont automatically revert to 'watching' again after you restore the failed so called "watched" AMP.  Lets call them AMP and AMP-F (failover) to avoid confusion

first and foremost do you care about the data that the failover AMP-F was collecting while the AMP was down ?

if yes - then you need to consider restoring a backup of AMP-F onto AMP so that AMP can be as up-to-date as possible before resuming duties. You can do this by either manually invoking backup and taking the fresh backup file, or, just using the latest nightly-backup that is in AMP-F's /var/airwave-backup.

On AMP-F, assuming you want the latest data

# amp_backup
    # scp /alternative/databackup.tar.gz   root@AMP:/tmp/databackup.tar.gz

on AMP
    # amp_restore -d /tmp/databackup.tar.gz

============================================================

or, if you dont want to take the backup now, then

# cd /var/airwave-backup
    # scp nightly_data001.tar.gz   root@AMP:/tmp/databackup.tar.gz

on AMP
    # amp_restore -d /tmp/databackup.tar.gz

Now go to next step "if no" below.

if no - ignore the restore from AMP-F -> AMP, and you need to restore its last backup before it became AMP. This bascially stops AMP-F masquerading as AMP and restores it's regular "running as failover" nightly backup.  These are stored in /var/airwave-backup/watcher/

on AMP-F

# amp_restore -d /var/airwave-backup/watcher/nightly_data001.tar.gz

* note * please make sure to check that anything you are about to restore is 100% correct and the right file

regards

-jeff

• 3.  RE: Backup-airwave won't revert to being a failover server

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 27, 2015 11:00 AM

Thanks Jeff.  Exactly what I was looking for.

:-)