Network Management

Backup-airwave won't revert to being a failover server

At some point the airwave failover server bacame active.  It kind of went unoticed cause there was never any problem with the primary as far as I know.

I can't seem to get this failover server to revert back to being a failover.  I've tried 'amp_disable' and rebooted but it still comes back as active.

Any advice?

Http and https is allowed between the two is fine, although I've just noticed that icmp is blocked.

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com

Re: Backup-airwave won't revert to being a failover server

Hi Michael

failover amps dont automatically revert to 'watching' again after you restore the failed so called "watched" AMP.  Lets call them AMP and AMP-F (failover) to avoid confusion

first and foremost do you care about the data that the failover AMP-F was collecting while the AMP was down ?

if yes - then you need to consider restoring a backup of AMP-F onto AMP so that AMP can be as up-to-date as possible before resuming duties. You can do this by either manually invoking backup and taking the fresh backup file, or, just using the latest nightly-backup that is in AMP-F's /var/airwave-backup.

On AMP-F, assuming you want the latest data

# amp_backup
# scp /alternative/databackup.tar.gz   root@AMP:/tmp/databackup.tar.gz

on AMP
# amp_restore -d /tmp/databackup.tar.gz

============================================================

or, if you dont want to take the backup now, then

# cd /var/airwave-backup
# scp nightly_data001.tar.gz   root@AMP:/tmp/databackup.tar.gz

on AMP
# amp_restore -d /tmp/databackup.tar.gz

Now go to next step "if no" below.

if no - ignore the restore from AMP-F -> AMP, and you need to restore its last backup before it became AMP. This bascially stops AMP-F masquerading as AMP and restores it's regular "running as failover" nightly backup.  These are stored in /var/airwave-backup/watcher/

on AMP-F

# amp_restore -d /var/airwave-backup/watcher/nightly_data001.tar.gz

* note * please make sure to check that anything you are about to restore is 100% correct and the right file

regards

-jeff

Re: Backup-airwave won't revert to being a failover server

Thanks Jeff.  Exactly what I was looking for.

:-)

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: