Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

Posted Jul 22, 2015 01:54 PM

Hi All,

We have a pretty large deployment of RAP3s and RAP155s, and we're using AirWave to monitor. Many of the devices using the RAPs are wired. We have no problem using AirWave to monitor RAP clients which are connected wirelessly, but, for some reason we do not see any wired RAP clients in AirWave. We're running 8.0 on AirWave and 6.3 on the controller. Seems like this should be a no brainer.. Could I be missing something, or is this just not supported....

-Pete

• 2.  RE: Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 22, 2015 02:14 PM
    You need to:

1.create a AAA profile where the initial role is either authenticated, or create a role called "wired" with allow all firewall rules.
    2. Assign that AAA profile to your wired port profile of your rap, and make the wired port untrusted.

Your wired users will show up in the user table and in Airwave as whatever role you created in step 1.

• 3.  RE: Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

Posted Jul 23, 2015 11:21 AM

Hi Colin,

Thanks for the quick reply.

None of my wired clients are connected to trusted ports. All clients are assigned a role and I see them in my controller. Never in AirWavve..

• 4.  RE: Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 23, 2015 11:28 AM

Pete, are those devices on tunneled or bridged ports?  Can you search for them by ip address or mac address in Airwave?

• 5.  RE: Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

Posted Jul 23, 2015 11:33 PM

They are all tunneled.

I cannot find them by MAC, or IP address.

Also, I see 0 clients when selecting all ethernet ports for the client chart on AirWave's AP/Device > Monitoring page.

Thanks,

Pete 

• 6.  RE: Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 24, 2015 07:12 AM

Is your Airwave 8.0 only?  You might want to try upgrading to the latest Airwave if you can, because there were fixes for the wired client display.

• 7.  RE: Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

Posted Jul 27, 2015 08:35 AM

I'm running 8.0.7.

I'm going to open a TAC case.

• 8.  RE: Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 12, 2015 02:44 PM

Hi All,

I just wanted to provide an update.

We found that if we set "Prefer AMON vs SNMP Polling:" to no, we begin to see wireless client data in AirWave. If we prefer AMON over SNMP we do not see wired client data.

Acording to TAC:  A defect has been filed for this issue and our engineering team is working on it. Right now we don’t have an ETA on the fix. However we are keeping track on the progress, will keep you updated.

• 9.  RE: Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

Posted Feb 02, 2017 04:16 AM

Are there any news on this?

I recently upgraded AirWave to 8.2.3 in the hope that wired clients are going to be showed up but no success.

I tried to set "Prefer AMON vs SNMP Polling" to no and restarted AMP. However there we're no wired clients shown.

• 10.  RE: Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

Posted Mar 03, 2017 02:22 PM

Is there any update on this issue?  

• 11.  RE: Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

Posted Mar 06, 2017 01:36 AM

There's a known issue similar to this problem in the release notes of 8.2.3.1

Symptom: The bandwidth usage is not reported at the group-level for wired clients.

Scenario: The Groups > List page should report bandwidth usage for wired clients.

Workaround: There is no workaround.

I contacted our HPE PreSales to report and maybe get some more information when it's getting fixed.

• 12.  RE: Can I monitor wired RAP users with AirWave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 06, 2017 03:58 AM

Hi,

We have a bug in Airwave related to RAP wired clients not showing in Aiwave DE22391 and this will be fixed in AMP 8.2.4 version. ETA of this release in end of march.

If my post helped you ? Give Kudos :)

Regards,

Pavan