Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Communication between IAP and AirWave over SNMP

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Communication between IAP and AirWave over SNMP

Posted May 18, 2017 09:55 AM

Good morning guys,

I have set up a cluster of Instant APs and communicate with AirWave properly over HTTPS (as I have read recently). If the communication is over HTTPS, do I need to configure SNMP for anything else? What advantages do I have if I configure SNMP for communication between the cluster and AirWave?

Regards,

Julián 

• 2.  RE: Communication between IAP and AirWave over SNMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 18, 2017 10:04 AM

You should not need to configure it over SNMP at all.  If you had a third-party system that you wanted to do SNMP reads from, that is why you would setup SNMP.  Airwave does not need/use SNMP for instant.

• 3.  RE: Communication between IAP and AirWave over SNMP

Posted May 18, 2017 11:11 AM

Hi Colin,

Clear, thanks!

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: Communication between IAP and AirWave over SNMP

Posted May 23, 2017 12:32 PM

Hi Colin,

One more thing about this. I have an alert in AirWave which is

alert.PNG

If AirWave doesn't use SNMP for Instant and in addition I have configured nothing related to SNMP in my Instant cluster, why do I receive this alert which seems to be related to SNMP?

Regards,

Julián

• 5.  RE: Communication between IAP and AirWave over SNMP

Posted Jun 21, 2017 06:51 PM

I believe the iAP sends the traps to Airwave along with syslog data and other telemetry - all wrapped in HTTPS.

• 6.  RE: Communication between IAP and AirWave over SNMP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 22, 2017 05:44 AM

Yes, that is right. As Mathew mentioned IAP sends traps along with the other data send over https. If we dont have Airwave set as a trap receiver on IAP also we would get these data by default through https.

• 7.  RE: Communication between IAP and AirWave over SNMP

Posted Jun 22, 2017 10:58 AM

That's right, but I think the Trigger Summary field comes to confusion. Then I think it should be changed from "SNMP Trap Category is Hardware or SNMP Trap Category is Software" to "HTTPS Trap Category is Hardware or HTTPS Trap Category is Software".

Regards,

Julián