Network Management

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Connected VIA users in Airwave?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Connected VIA users in Airwave?

Posted May 16, 2014 12:10 PM

All,

Do you know if it's possible to see connected VIA connected users in Airwave? I was told that it is possible, but I wanted to reach out to the Airheads community to see if anyone has had any luck.

I'm running a multi-site VIA config and nothing is showing up in Airwave. Each of the controllers are setup to send all of the amp-profile data back to Airwave.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

-Mike

• 2.  RE: Connected VIA users in Airwave?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2014 02:19 PM

Absolutely!  

We can show you VIA users in Airwave in addition to 

VPN Sessions overall

VPN Users

VPN User Details (see screenshot)

Screenshot 2014-05-16 14.17.56.png

• 3.  RE: Connected VIA users in Airwave?

Posted May 16, 2014 02:22 PM

Seth,

That's good to know! Is there knob you need to turn on the controller or in Airwave to make this work?

-Mike

• 4.  RE: Connected VIA users in Airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2014 02:24 PM

Nope...it will just show up under the Clients Tab in AMP

• 5.  RE: Connected VIA users in Airwave?

Posted May 16, 2014 02:45 PM

Seth,

I know that we've seen it work with IAP-VPN customers... Hmm, I'll guess I'll have to open a ticket, because I'm not able to see VIA connections. I'm able to see everything else and AppRF data - so not sure what I'm missing.

I'll update this post when I figure out what it is. Thanks for the screencap - it's nice to see that is definitely supported!

Thanks!

-Mike

• 6.  RE: Connected VIA users in Airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2014 02:47 PM

Do you see other clients?  

• 7.  RE: Connected VIA users in Airwave?

Posted May 16, 2014 02:48 PM

Seth,

Yep, I see RAPs, RAP connected devices, 802.1X wireless, and Guest users. All of that is showing up. It's just the VIA connections that are not showing up.

-Mike

• 8.  RE: Connected VIA users in Airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2014 02:51 PM

The VIA controller is added to AMP and is set to send AMON and SNMP traps to AMP as well?

• 9.  RE: Connected VIA users in Airwave?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 16, 2014 02:52 PM

If you search the username, do you get any VIA client results?

• 10.  RE: Connected VIA users in Airwave?

Posted May 16, 2014 03:17 PM

All,

Nope, nothing is showing up in Airwave for the connected users. I was actually just connected for 30 mins through VIA and still nothing.

I was just gathering some data for TAC when something hit me. Do either of your community strings have special characters in them? I have an "@" and a "+" for this customer. I was thinking of changing that to just letters and numbers to see if that fixed it.

Thanks!

-Mike

• 11.  RE: Connected VIA users in Airwave?

Posted Jul 28, 2014 02:43 PM

any update to this? I'm seeing the same behavior with Airwave 8.0.1 and AOS 6.3.1.9.

• 12.  RE: Connected VIA users in Airwave?

Posted Aug 06, 2014 01:57 PM

I've had the same issue ever since updating to Airwave 8.0...lost all visibility to VIA users/sessions.  I have a case opened with TAC and it's apparantely a known issue that is sitting with Aruba engineering for a fix in future releases.  There is one thing to try to get a small amount of data, which is to change the AMP to prefer SNMP over AMON.  To do this go to AMP Setup/General, then on the right-hand column towards the bottom go to Additional AMP Services.  Change "Prefer AMON vs SNMP Polling:" to No.  This will jump start Airwave's ability to monitor VIA clients, but it is very spotty and doesn't give accurate usage reporting.  I'm hoping this fix this soon, as we just finished rolling out VIA to our entire environment.