Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Correctly interpreting AirWave RF Health Report

This thread has been viewed 7 times
  • 1.  Correctly interpreting AirWave RF Health Report

Posted Nov 16, 2012 11:00 AM

I am looking to make sure my wireless network is configured for VOIP Quality. In looking at the Daily RF Health Report I show an avg  Noise range of -82 to -91.50 dbm. When I look at VisualRF heatmap and set it for signal cutoff -65 (this number is recommended for VOIP quality). Based on these noise/signal I should have a SNR of 17 to 25.50 (25 being idea) with the 17 being the worst signal, is this a correct interpretation? Meaning I need to look at any AP's that are reporting a Avg Noise of less than -88/-86? 

• 2.  RE: Correctly interpreting AirWave RF Health Report

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2012 11:10 AM

The Health Report reports on Noise, not signal, so it should not be used to determine coverage.

• 3.  RE: Correctly interpreting AirWave RF Health Report

Posted Nov 16, 2012 01:45 PM

I am not using the Noise as the sole critrior to get my signal but as a number to arrive at SNR. Did I incorrectly state my question? I am trying to gage what my clinets are seeing and I understand this changes as the RF signals change

• 4.  RE: Correctly interpreting AirWave RF Health Report

Posted Nov 16, 2012 01:48 PM

Sorry I just noticed I posted this question in the wrong Area it should have went into the AirWave discussion :). Thanks for answering

• 5.  RE: Correctly interpreting AirWave RF Health Report

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2012 07:21 PM

I think you're on the right track, but I think capturing a trending pattern needs to happen first.  And then if an area is observed to have the same high noise level consistently, then look into placing another AP near that area, or rearranging the currently deployed APs to cover that area better.  Some customer locations where -88 dbm is the average noise have had VOIP working perfectly over the wireless.  It's something that you'll want to test and observe prior to making it your magic number.

• 6.  RE: Correctly interpreting AirWave RF Health Report

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2012 12:38 PM

Noise varies based on the number of APs and clients that are active in an area.  The number of active clients changes daily.  Your gauging factor should be based on site survey with trending over a period of time.

• 7.  RE: Correctly interpreting AirWave RF Health Report

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 16, 2012 01:43 PM

What he said ^^^^