Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Deleting Folders from Airwave

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Deleting Folders from Airwave

Posted Jul 16, 2012 11:18 PM

I was wondering if there's a way to delete a bulk of folders from Airwave .

Thanks

Vic

• 2.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 20, 2012 08:43 PM

Unfortunately we cannot do that from the UI at this point. I am not sure if TAC has any scripts for it.

Sujatha

• 3.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 13, 2012 02:07 PM

What's the use case for deleting folders in bulk?

When folders are deleted, you lose the client count / bandwidth count of that folder.  This is something to be cautious of especially if you run a significant amount of reports with 'by folder' conditions.

• 4.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

Posted May 25, 2015 10:50 AM
    Re-opening this discussion.
    Use-case would be client is no longer a customer, we have ran the required reports and sent them off, we have gathered all data in form of reports now we need to remove the client from Airwave.

• 5.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

Posted May 26, 2015 02:38 AM

Hello!

I would also be very interested in this user case since we also have a number of customers on our Airwave servers.

If someone does know a trick, I would very much apprichiate it :)

• 6.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 26, 2015 11:55 AM

Currently there's no bulk deletion scripts for folders/groups.  The best approach is to file as a feature request.

• 7.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

• 8.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2015 09:00 AM

This is really needed.  There is a script to bulk create, but not one to delete.

• 9.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

Posted Jun 19, 2015 09:03 AM
    I submitted an enhancement request, feel free to bump it up!

• 10.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 19, 2015 09:05 AM

done :-)

Edit:  Having the option to delete all subfolders (provided they are all empty) is probably all we really need.

• 11.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

Posted Jun 19, 2015 09:18 AM

promoted

• 12.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2015 10:12 AM

Also promoted. Bit of an odd situation in that you can delete all of the devices out of the folders (by selecting show all devices in subfolders, select all, then delete) but not actually delete the folders.

• 13.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 25, 2015 11:19 AM

@jtinmouth

From where are you trying to delete the folder?  You have to navigate into the empty folder, and then the delete option should be available at the bottom.

There's 2 main restrictions to determine if a folder is deletable:

1) is it empty? (includes ignored devices) - best bet is to do a query from the database to make sure not devices have that ap_folder_id [for example (ap_folder_id=1 is Top folder, you get the ap_folder_id from the URL when you navigate into the specific folder): dbc 'select * from ap where ap_folder_id=1']

2) are there any roles assigned to that folder?  (you can also check from AMP Setup -> roles)

If folder is empty, you would see that the delete option is available:

2015_09_25-303.jpg

If folder has devices, you would see:

2015_09_25-302.jpg

If you have a user role assigned to that folder, then you might see:

2015_09_25-304.jpg

• 14.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2015 04:02 AM

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that the otherwise empty folders are full of a heirarchy of (also empty) folders.

For example you're about to delete a customer off a system with a global estate, in a folder heirarchy (customer -> europe -> uk -> london, customer -> americas -> USA -> Illinois and so on). You can go to the customer folder, expand the folders below, select everything and delete. Then you end up with the entire heirarchy empty except for a whole load of empty folders, and everything above the lowest empty folder is not deletable, until you delete all those folders one-by-one.

I guess the restriction on deleting non-empty folders is to avoid a wayward click, but seeing as it's quite easy to delete all devices in a folder in one move, if there was an option to delete a folder that only contained more empty folders, that would be useful.

• 15.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2015 10:53 AM

Got it, so you're trying to delete a folder tree.  That's going to fall under feature requests.  Please submit into the ideas portal for the Product Managers to review.

• 16.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 28, 2015 10:56 AM

Aye indeed. As mentioned I just promoted the idea already there in the portal! But that said all my folders I'd like to delete with this feature will already be gone by the time it's done :)

• 17.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

• 18.  RE: Deleting Folders from Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 11, 2017 12:14 PM

I too am looking for a way to do this either in bulk via gui or in cli so it can be scripted.  We have several thousand that need to be deleted but, waiting for the screen to paint is making this very tedious.  I would also like to point out that I am just one of over 2500 people to read this thread.  There is a real need for this.  How many years does a feature request usually take?