Re: Deleting Folders from Airwave

promoted

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Aruba Employee

Also promoted. Bit of an odd situation in that you can delete all of the devices out of the folders (by selecting show all devices in subfolders, select all, then delete) but not actually delete the folders.

@jtinmouth

From where are you trying to delete the folder?  You have to navigate into the empty folder, and then the delete option should be available at the bottom.

There's 2 main restrictions to determine if a folder is deletable:

1) is it empty? (includes ignored devices) - best bet is to do a query from the database to make sure not devices have that ap_folder_id [for example (ap_folder_id=1 is Top folder, you get the ap_folder_id from the URL when you navigate into the specific folder): dbc 'select * from ap where ap_folder_id=1']

2) are there any roles assigned to that folder?  (you can also check from AMP Setup -> roles)

If folder is empty, you would see that the delete option is available:

2015_09_25-303.jpg

If folder has devices, you would see:

2015_09_25-302.jpg

If you have a user role assigned to that folder, then you might see:

2015_09_25-304.jpg

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Aruba Employee

Hi Rob

Thanks for the reply. The problem is that the otherwise empty folders are full of a heirarchy of (also empty) folders.

For example you're about to delete a customer off a system with a global estate, in a folder heirarchy (customer -> europe -> uk -> london, customer -> americas -> USA -> Illinois and so on). You can go to the customer folder, expand the folders below, select everything and delete. Then you end up with the entire heirarchy empty except for a whole load of empty folders, and everything above the lowest empty folder is not deletable, until you delete all those folders one-by-one.

I guess the restriction on deleting non-empty folders is to avoid a wayward click, but seeing as it's quite easy to delete all devices in a folder in one move, if there was an option to delete a folder that only contained more empty folders, that would be useful.

Got it, so you're trying to delete a folder tree.  That's going to fall under feature requests.  Please submit into the ideas portal for the Product Managers to review.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Aruba Employee

Aye indeed. As mentioned I just promoted the idea already there in the portal! But that said all my folders I'd like to delete with this feature will already be gone by the time it's done :)

Here is the link to it

https://arubanetworkskb.secure.force.com/prm/ideas/viewIdea.apexp?id=08733000000LHzlAAG
Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
New Contributor

I too am looking for a way to do this either in bulk via gui or in cli so it can be scripted.  We have several thousand that need to be deleted but, waiting for the screen to paint is making this very tedious.  I would also like to point out that I am just one of over 2500 people to read this thread.  There is a real need for this.  How many years does a feature request usually take?

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: