Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Device name in Airwave

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  Device name in Airwave

Posted Sep 08, 2014 08:29 AM

My iPhone has a name in general settings - Kevets iphone.

I remember at one point of upgrading Instant versions, that this started to appear in Airwave. I know that other products such as Meraki capture this data, so it appears it is broadcast as part of the WIFI connection negotiation.

But I am now controller (6.4.2.0) based and this info is no longer present.

Is there a setting to record it, or do I just need to wait for a future release (or accept that I won't have it)? It's fairly useful data, and it's too tedious to track down and manually enter device names.

Thanks!

• 2.  RE: Device name in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2014 09:10 AM

Do you have clearpass?  You can configure an action to take the hostname and send back that attribute as the username.

On the controller, there is no current way inherently seeing the hostname in the client table and ultimately Airwave.

• 3.  RE: Device name in Airwave

Posted Sep 08, 2014 09:16 AM

Thanks. I do own a license to CP, but haven't bitten into it yet.

• 4.  RE: Device name in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2014 09:24 AM

OK....a quick lesson.  Clearpass includes a complete device profiler.  You just need to send DHCP info to it via a helper address or span port.  There are other methods to send device data but those are the two main ones.  Once you do, you get something like this:

Screenshot 2014-09-08 09.18.19.png

Note that you have multiple "attributes" here which can be used elsewhere in the product.  Particular note on the Hostname column and the Device Name on the right column above.  In short, any of these attributes can be used as a reference to send back to a controller and tell it that this namespace is the username.  Here is what that would look like in what we call an enforcement profile.  Two examples below...one is to use Device Name as the Username and the other is to use Hostname as the username.  There is another action in these profiles that is sending back the role on the controller this device needs to be assigned.

Screenshot 2014-09-08 09.17.31.png

Screenshot 2014-09-08 09.17.44.png

On the controller then, you get something like this.

Screenshot 2014-09-08 09.23.47.png

• 5.  RE: Device name in Airwave

Posted Sep 08, 2014 09:33 AM

Very cool. So far I have done the controller and AirWave on my own, but ClearPass kind of scares me. I need to carve out a chunk of time to get it setup. But it definitely looks like it will give me great depth of detail.

(PS - you a guitar player?)

• 6.  RE: Device name in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 08, 2014 09:41 AM

Yes - I do play a guitar...

I just was told that there is a way to see hostnames in Airwave...see here:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Unified-Wired-Wireless-Access/How-to-display-the-win-7-computer-name-using-aIrwave-8-0-0/m-p/190399/highlight/true#M38409