Network Management

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

Posted Mar 22, 2016 09:25 AM

Hi!

I´m handling an Airwave group of multiple clusters of, in my case, RAP-155s and I want to upgrade them to a new firmware. The options I´m given in the group firmware page is to enforce the firmware and to allow downgrades of devices. This works very well for all the clusters that are currently up when I make the change or schedule to initiate the upgrade.

But in this case there are several clusters who are down for several reasons that are absolutely OK (on their way to a new site, powered of, on the shelf waiting to be shipped to mention a few). When these APs eventually come up there´s no enforcement, they will just sit there on their old firmware. The enforcement seems to just do its thing on the RAPs when they join the group for the first time.

I would like for Airwave to initiate the upgrade to the enforced group firmware as soon as an AP comes up again but I´ve not found a way to do this. Anyone know how or if it can be done?

Cheers,

Chris

• 2.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2016 09:40 AM

Do you see the IAP/VC in the group that you have enforcement enabled on?  Are these IAPs in read/write or read-only mode?  Do you have "Allow firmware upgrades in monitor-only mode" enabled under AMP Setup?

• 3.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

Posted Mar 22, 2016 09:45 AM

Hi!

Yes I can see the AP/VC in the group and in the Instant GUI config view.

They are all in config mode, we´re using Instant GUI config.

Allow firmware upgrades in monitor-only mode is set to No. I don´t think it's needed if they are in managed mode, or is it?

• 4.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2016 10:05 AM
    It should not be needed. Do you have a version of code Uploaded for that firmware version? If the firmware you select is "local" the ap will get it directly from the Airwave server. If the version you select is from the cloud server, the IAP will reach out to devices.Aruba Networks.com to try to download it from there. Type "show log upgrade" on the IAP to see what is going on.

• 5.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

Posted Mar 22, 2016 11:35 AM

Yes, it´s uploaded to Airwave with server protocol HTTPS. I´ll check the upgrade log next time a cluster comes online that has the old firmware. I´m pretty sure that it won´t say much since the upgrade job itself isn´t active anymore after "failing" with the clusters that were down.

• 6.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 22, 2016 11:43 AM

The command should be run on the IAP so you can see the history of the upgrade when the IAP is up.

• 7.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

Posted Mar 24, 2016 03:36 AM

Hi again!

Today, two new clusters of this group has come up and they are both sitting on the old version. Airwave is not doing anything to upgrade them and from the IAP upgrade log we can see that it´s empty:

# show log upgrade
    ----------Download log start----------
    download log not available
    ----------Download log end------------
    Download status: incomplete
    ----------Upgrade log start----------
    upgrade log not available
    ----------Upgrade log end------------
    Upgrade status: upgrade status not available

I can go to System -> Firmware upgrade job details in Airwave and restart the job or manually upgrade the cluster but I would like for this to happen automatically so I can be confident that all clusters will use the correct version.

Cheers,

• 8.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2016 04:48 AM

How were the clusters added to Airwave?  Manually?  Whitelist?  Activate?  DHCP?

• 9.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

Posted Mar 24, 2016 04:51 AM

Right now we´re adding manually and there´s no whitelist configured in Airwave, all IAPs are authorized. Some of them might´ve been added by using Activate aswell.

Cheers,

• 10.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2016 04:55 AM

Okay, are these clusters with ALL the same model of AP?

When they boot up, do they show up as "up" in Airwave, even though they do not upgrade, or they never show up?

• 11.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 24, 2016 04:55 AM

Okay, are these clusters with ALL the same model of AP?

When they boot up, do they show up as "up" in Airwave, even though they do not upgrade, or they never show up?

• 12.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down

Posted Mar 24, 2016 05:01 AM

Each cluster has a RAP-155, some of the clusters also have IAP-103s to extend coverage on the site. The clusters come up fine and work as normal, just on the old firmware.

When looking at the logs in Airwave from when this cluster came up, I found this:

Wed Mar 23 11:19:49 2016SystemDevice has rebooted: Device uptime value changed (current: 6 mins 57 secs, calculated: 14 days 15 hrs 36 mins 5 secs)
    Wed Mar 23 11:19:48 2016SystemEnforce firmware dropped since upgrade is in progress
    Wed Mar 23 11:19:48 2016SystemStatus changed to 'OK'
    Wed Mar 23 11:19:48 2016SystemUp
    Wed Mar 23 11:19:21 2016SystemConfiguration is successfully synchronized from management server.

Could the upgrade job be blocking itself? The upgrade job is still listed and status is "failed" since in my case 56 clusters completed and 34 failed.

Cheers,

• 13.  RE: Enforce firmware upgrade for IAPs that are currently down
    Best Answer

Posted Apr 07, 2016 03:59 AM

After deleting the old failed upgrade job under System -> Firmware upgrade jobs it seems to be working fine again.

Cheers,