Network Management

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Forgot Airwave shared key

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Forgot Airwave shared key

Posted Mar 17, 2017 01:12 PM

Hi,

I forgot Airwave shared key.

Can i see existing shared key or do i need reset.

Kindly suggest how can i do that

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Forgot Airwave shared key

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2017 01:44 PM

You should contact TAC.  I am not sure that the end-user can recover it.

• 3.  RE: Forgot Airwave shared key

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2017 03:26 PM

AirWave Shared key for what? Can you give more details?

To join an IAP cluster for example?

• 4.  RE: Forgot Airwave shared key

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2017 04:33 PM

If it's the shared key for IAP, then you can open TAC case and they can assist in helping you retrieve it.

If it's a different shared key, they can assist as well, just need to flesh out which key it is.  Depending on the key, it might require additional decrypting.

• 5.  RE: Forgot Airwave shared key

Posted Mar 17, 2017 09:19 PM

Hi,

Yes. to join IAP cluster with Airwave i need to insert correct shared key.

Thank you

• 6.  RE: Forgot Airwave shared key

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 17, 2017 11:56 PM

Hi Nik,

Are you trying to add new IAP cluster to Airwave, if Yes then you could use any random shared key to add the device to Airwave, it is just use to authorize.

If you already have exisiting IAPs been added to Airwave and want to use same shared key to authorize this new cluster aswell then we could pull the information from database.

Try run below command to get shared sceret key

#dbc "select password from ap where id = 'xx'";

Replace xx with VCs id number, we could get this id from APs/Devices>monitor URL page in Airwave.

Capture1.PNG

sample output from my server.

[root@Aruba-Airwave mercury]# dbc "select password from ap where id = '66'";
     password
    ----------
     test
    (1 row)

Regards,

Pavan,

If my post address your query, give kudos:)

• 7.  RE: Forgot Airwave shared key
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 20, 2017 11:47 AM

@Pavan

Please keep in mind that dbc commands won't work in the future as the AMP CLI will be locked down from running commands like you suggested.

---------------

The benefit of remembering the shared secret is that when a new IAP is detected with the same shared secret / organization string pairing, it will get automatically approved into AirWave if another device with that pairing is already present / approved as a monitored device.

With the above in mind, it'd be okay to create a new shared secret.  This would mean that the 1st device with the new shared secret would go into the new devices bin until approved.  Once you manually approve 1 entry with the new shared secret, additional IAPs with the new pairing will be automatically approved.  Ideally you would setup 1 IAP with the new shared key first to approve before enabling the other IAPs.  If they all go live at the same time, you can simply delete the extras from new devices and then they will be automatically authorized the next time they are discovered.

• 8.  RE: Forgot Airwave shared key

Posted Sep 21, 2020 04:43 PM

The shared secret is no longer displayed in clear text after 8.2.10.0 .