Network Management

last person joined: 21 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Groups vs Folder

This thread has been viewed 14 times
  • 1.  Groups vs Folder

Posted Apr 05, 2017 09:08 AM

Hi,

we have master local controller setup with 50 AP as well we have 3 remote locations with 10 IAP per location.

Airwave is used for monitoring purpose only.

Can some one please explain where i can use Groups and Folders for my wireless setup.

Thank you..

• 2.  RE: Groups vs Folder
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 05, 2017 09:22 AM

Groups are for configuration of devices that need to have the same configuration maintained.

Folders are for heirarchical reporting.

If you are not using Airwave for configuration, the group does not matter on the device, even though Airwave makes you set one..

• 3.  RE: Groups vs Folder

Posted Apr 06, 2017 04:47 AM

Hi,

we are planning to manage Aruba controller from Airwave.

I guess in that case, i need create group for controllers and folder for AP.

Kindly correct me if i wrong.

Thank You..

• 4.  RE: Groups vs Folder
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 06, 2017 05:04 AM

Yes, you are right. Groups are configuration specific and Folders are mainly to identify the location.

So, since we would be managing the controller from Airwave we can have controllers with same config in one group and APs can be added to folders based on the location.

• 5.  RE: Groups vs Folder
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 06, 2017 05:07 AM

If you want to manage the devices from Airwave, create group in Airwave and  make sure move the controllers with similar configuration in that group. In your case, if you have master-local controllre setup, place those two controllers in same group and import the master controller configuration on to Airwave, to make configuaration status Good for both master/local controller in Airwave.

All  APs you can place in same Group but you can create folders so that based on location of you APs you can create a folder with proper name and move those devices to that folder so that it will useful to filter APs based on location in Airwave and also will running reports and setting trigger conditons.

Regards,

Pavan

If my post address your query, give kudos:)

• 6.  RE: Groups vs Folder

Posted Apr 29, 2020 11:40 AM

Hi there, 

I was wondering if you can help me? 

I am working with the AMP API and would like to know the difference between group id and the parent id?

Kind regards, 

• 7.  RE: Groups vs Folder

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 29, 2020 01:08 PM

Are you following Airwave API guide which we get in Home > Documentation page in Airwave?

---We see parent_id in folder_list.xml API output. Default we have Top folder in Airwave, if we create a sub folder under Top then parent_id of sub folder will be the TOP''s folder id.

Default folder_id for Top folder is 1, we can see this details in URL of Devices > List.

https://10.23.194.xx/ap_list?ap_folder_id=1

---group_id we see in ap_list.xml and BSSID API outputs and  it the actual id which we see in URL of Group > Monitor page of Airwave group.

https://10.23.194.xx/ap_group_monitoring?id=183

amp:amp_ap_list version="1" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.airwave.com amp_ap_list.xsd">
    <ap id="2833">
    <controller_id>2814</controller_id>
    <device_category>thin_ap</device_category>
    <firmware>8.3.0.6-8.3.0.6_69128</firmware>
    <folder id="254">EPSBG-SEV-001</folder>
    <group id="183">WIFI_CORP</group>
    <is_remote_ap>false</is_remote_ap>
    <is_up>false</is_up>