Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

HOWTO: generating PDFs automatically from AirWave reports

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  HOWTO: generating PDFs automatically from AirWave reports

Posted Jun 07, 2012 02:16 PM

I spent some time recently on getting our AirWave server to automatically generate PDFs of reports, and my manager suggested I share the information with Airheads, since PDF reports seem to be a pretty frequently requested feature.

What you need:

• an AirWave version that supports the post-report scripting hook if you want to automate the process (check /var/airwave/custom/ for a file called post_report.sample; if it's there, you should be good); I think 7.2 or better support it, maybe 7.1 as well
    • shell access to the AirWave server (root access if you want to use the post-report scripting hook)
    • a little shell and shell scripting knowledge
    • wget, which should be installed by default (if /usr/bin/wget is not present, run sudo yum install wget to obtain it)
    • wkhtmltopdf, which uses the WebKit rendering engine to generate PDFs from HTML pages, available at http://code.google.com/p/wkhtmltopdf/; I recommend the statically linked AMD64 version (or i386 if you are on an older version of AirWave)

BEFORE YOU START: I TESTED ON AIRWAVE 7.4.8 AND 7.5 BETA I AND HAVE NO IDEA IF ANY OF THIS WILL WORK ON VERSIONS PRIOR TO THAT, SO CAVEAT EMPTOR

ALSO ANY WORK OR EXPERIMENTATION YOU DO ON YOUR AIRWAVE SERVER WHILE FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS IS COMPLETELY AT YOUR OWN RISK AND I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU ACCIDENTALLY ERASE /usr OR BREAK SOMETHING ELSE REALLY BADLY

1. The first problem that I needed to solve was how to get access to the HTML version of the report itself.  Since AirWave's file storage structures on disk are pretty opaque and not externally documented for us, the only way to get the report is to log into the AirWave server via the web UI with an existing account and then scrape the report URL.  But how do you go about that?

The answer is to use the wget command-line utility to automate the process.  wget does two things we need for this: it can send arbitrary strings as POST data, and it can save the login cookie it gets back from the AirWave server to a text file.

(Nota bene: this assumes you are using at least AirWave 7.3, which I think is when AirWave changed to the form-based authentication; if you are using an older version that still uses HTTP basic authentication, you'll want to use --http-username and --http-password instead, and you may be able to consolidate both wget commands into a single command without having to save the login cookie.)

Here is the first wget command:

/usr/bin/wget -q --keep-session-cookies --save-cookies /tmp/login_cookie.txt --post-data "credential_0=USERNAME&credential_1=PASSWORD&destination=/&login=Log In" --no-check-certificate https://127.0.0.1/LOGIN -O -

Things to note about this command:

• it will save the login cookie to /tmp/login_cookie.txt
    • the username and password to log in with are in plaintext in the --post-data string (replace USERNAME and PASSWORD)
    • you must log in via the localhost IP (using the external IP/FQDN of the server will not work)

Assuming the login is successful, /tmp/login_cookie.txt will look something like this:

# HTTP cookie file.
    # Generated by Wget on 2012-06-07 13:50:10.
    # Edit at your own risk.

127.0.0.1 FALSE / TRUE 1339095010 Mercury::Handler::AuthCookieHandler_AMPAuth aabbccddeeff00112233445566778899

If it's empty, something went wrong with the login, so go back and try again.  The -q switch reduces wget's output, so remove it if you need more information for debugging.

2. Now that you have a valid login cookie, you re-run wget a second time, telling it to use the login cookie you just saved to gain access to the URL where the report is and scrape the report and all images/CSS/javascript into a directory, rewriting the URLs in the HTML as it goes to be relative links referencing the new locations.

Here is the second wget command:

/usr/bin/wget -q -E -k -r -w 1 --no-check-certificate --load-cookies /tmp/login_cookie.txt -P /tmp/ "https://127.0.0.1/nf/report_detail?id=REPORT_ID&format=xml"

Things to note about this command:

• -E causes wget to append .html to the end of XML/HTML files that don't already end in .html (this is necessary to keep wkhtmltopdf from spitting out weird errors)
    • -k causes wget to convert links to be relative links, as mentioned above
    • -r causes wget to be recursive about its retrieval (get all the images and CSS and such that are necessary to make the report look correct)
    • -w 1 causes wget to wait 1 second between retrievals so as to not slam the server (remove this if you don't care and want everything to be downloaded immediately; you'll probably want to leave this off while experimenting)
    • -P provides a new root folder for wget to fetch into (it will create a directory named 127.0.0.1 at the given location and create subdirectories underneath for the files it fetches; you can leave this off to just let it write into the current directory)
    • in the URL to fetch, you must provide the ID of the report to be fetched (to find a report's ID, mouse over the URL in your web browser and take note of the ID in the URL)

Once executed, wget will busily set about recursively retrieving everything that's necessary to make the report look like a report.

3. When wget is finished, have a look in /tmp/127.0.0.1/ (or wherever you told wget to write the downloaded files to).  You'll see a few directories, like css and images and nf.  nf is where the actual report data gets written to, so have a look in there for a file named report_detail?id=ID&format=xml.html (where ID is the ID number you supplied in the previous wget command).

Now, you can do whatever you want with the report.  If you want to turn it into a PDF immediately, here's what you do.

Using wkhtmltopdf, which you should have already downloaded and untarballed somewhere, you can convert the report to a PDF with the following command:

/path/to/wkhtmltopdf-amd64 -s Letter -q --disable-internal-links --disable-external-links /path/to/report/127.0.01/nf/report_detail\?id\=ID\&format\=xml.html ~/output.pdf

You can ignore any warning messages it outputs about QPixmap.  Assuming that's successful, you should now have a PDF in your home directory of the report!

(As with anything, there are some caveats; the main problem I've noticed is that on reports with really wide tables, wkhtmltopdf elects to scale down the entire report to minuscule proportions to cram the entire table onto the page instead of keeping the scale as normal and paginating the table horizontally when it gets to it).

How to automate this process in the next post...

• 2.  RE: HOWTO: generating PDFs automatically from AirWave reports

Posted Jun 07, 2012 02:21 PM

Here's a quick and ugly script I wrote that will run as the AirWave post-script reporting hook to automatically convert every report to a PDF and save it to a known location on the filesystem.  Save this script as /var/airwave/custom/post_report, making sure that it is owned by and executable by root, and writable by root only (AirWave will not execute the script unless it is owned by root):

#!/bin/sh
    # the only argument supplied by AirWave is the id of the report (in $1)

# values to be set by user
    USERNAME=login_username
    PASSWORD=login_password
    OUTPUT_DIR=/usr/local/etc/report_pdfs

# paths to binaries and such
    UUIDGEN_BIN=/usr/bin/uuidgen
    WGET_BIN=/usr/bin/wget
    GREP_BIN=/bin/grep
    WKHTMLTOPDF_BIN=/usr/local/bin/wkhtmltopdf-amd64
    UUID=`$UUIDGEN_BIN`

# error out if no report ID is provided
    if [ "$1" = "" ]; then
        echo "You must provide a report ID. Exiting."
    exit 1
    fi

# error out if output directory is not writable
    if [ ! -w $OUTPUT_DIR ]; then
        echo "Unable to write to output directory. Exiting."
    exit 1
    fi

# make a work directory and a storage directory for the report
    /bin/mkdir /tmp/$UUID

TODAY=`date +%Y-%m-%d`

if [ ! -d $OUTPUT_DIR/$TODAY ]; then
        /bin/mkdir $OUTPUT_DIR/$TODAY
    fi

# log in to the AirWave server and save the login cookie
    $WGET_BIN -q --keep-session-cookies --save-cookies /tmp/$UUID/cookie.txt --post-data "credential_0=$USERNAME&credential_1=$PASSWORD&destination=/&login=Log In" --no-check-certificate https://127.0.0.1/LOGIN -O - > /dev/null

# now grab the desired report
    $WGET_BIN -q -E -k -r -w 1 --no-check-certificate --load-cookies /tmp/$UUID/cookie.txt -P /tmp/$UUID/ "https://127.0.0.1/nf/report_detail?id=$1&format=xml"

# extra post-processing of the report could go on here if so desired (this strips all links)
    /bin/sed -i -e "s/<a.*>\(.*\)<\/a>/\1/g" /tmp/$UUID/127.0.0.1/nf/report_detail\?id\=$1\&format\=xml.html

# get the title of the report the clever (aka ugly) way
    REPORT_TITLE=`$GREP_BIN -E '<h1>(.*)' /tmp/$UUID/127.0.0.1/nf/report_detail\?id\=$1\&format\=xml.html | cut -c 5-`

# turn report into a PDF with a VERY LONG NAME
    $WKHTMLTOPDF_BIN -s Letter -q --disable-internal-links --disable-external-links /tmp/$UUID/127.0.0.1/nf/report_detail\?id\=$1\&format\=xml.html $OUTPUT_DIR/$TODAY/`date +%Y-%m-%dT%H-%M-%S`_id$1_`echo $REPORT_TITLE | tr ' ' _ | tr -cd [:alnum:]_`.pdf

# erase work directory

/bin/rm -rf /tmp/$UUID

# ding!
    /bin/logger "post_report processed report $1"

You can test the script immediately by executing it as root with a report ID, e.g., (./post_report 12345) and seeing if it deposits the PDF in $OUTPUT_DIR.  If AirWave is refusing to execute it, check ownership (should be root:root) and permissions (755).

From here, you can do pretty much anything with it; I set up an additional cron job that scans the directory every 10 minutes for new reports, mounts a Windows file share with mount.cifs, rsyncs the reports over, then deletes them from the AirWave server.

• 3.  RE: HOWTO: generating PDFs automatically from AirWave reports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 07, 2012 08:53 PM

Edmund, this is a fantastic article and certainly addresses a longstanding feature request.  Thank you very much for working through the process and posting the steps here!

• 4.  RE: HOWTO: generating PDFs automatically from AirWave reports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 08, 2012 02:44 AM

Edmund:

Thank you for sharing the detailed steps, much appreciated.

A piece of good news. Our Engineering team has also been investigating the same toolkit and has come up with a proposal for including in the product. We hope to support this in the next release of AirWave, will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks again!

Sujatha

• 5.  RE: HOWTO: generating PDFs automatically from AirWave reports

Posted Oct 27, 2016 03:50 AM

Hello Sujatha,

I want to know that, is it possible to generate report in airwave based on data consumed? 

and 

We have a business center and we are using aruba IAPs and Fortigate firewalls and HP Switches, and ISP Line, Can we monitor this all in Airwave? 

Please let me know and send docs for the same.

Thank you in advance

• 6.  RE: HOWTO: generating PDFs automatically from AirWave reports

Posted Oct 27, 2016 03:51 AM

and we are using Airwave 8.2.0.3 

Thank you 

• 7.  RE: HOWTO: generating PDFs automatically from AirWave reports

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Oct 27, 2016 05:16 AM

@ambaraya wrote:

Hello Sujatha,

I want to know that, is it possible to generate report in airwave based on data consumed? 

and 

We have a business center and we are using aruba IAPs and Fortigate firewalls and HP Switches, and ISP Line, Can we monitor this all in Airwave? 

Thank you in advance

Data consumed by what users?  Please be specific.  Also, please open a separate topic, because it is not directly related to generating a PDF..

• 8.  RE: HOWTO: generating PDFs automatically from AirWave reports

Posted Oct 27, 2016 05:28 AM

and 

I am using airwave 8.2.0.3.

Thank you in advance

• 9.  RE: HOWTO: generating PDFs automatically from AirWave reports