Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP 225 won't create a cluster

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IAP 225 won't create a cluster

Posted Sep 20, 2017 11:50 PM

I have 3 225's. They won't form a cluster.

- The uplink management vlan is 0

- The switchport where each 225 is connected to is using a native VLAN to take the untagged management traffic from the 225 and put it onto VLAN 101. The switchport is configured as a trunk.

- I have auto-join enabled on each 225

- All 3 have been rebooted

- I tried setting the auto-join to disabled on one of them and then manually added in the mac address of the other 2 in, but they show up as red

- Not that relevant but they are all using DHCP

- They are all in the same subnet and on the same VLAN

- The SSID's are using different VLAN tags for each SSID

- Running firmware version 6.4.4.8-4.2.4.6_58505 on Aruba Operating System Software

They work fine. I can manage all 3 fine and the SSIDs work fine, but they just will not form a cluster. What else should i be checking? 

• 2.  RE: IAP 225 won't create a cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2017 03:28 AM

I would backup the configuration from one IAP 225 that you like and factory reset them all.  You should make sure that they can all form a cluster before you do any configuration, really.

- Start with a single IAP 225 and put it on a network with dhcp with no trunks.

- Make sure that network has access to the internet.

- Connect to  the "instant" SSID and get into that single AP

- Upgrade the single IAP 225 to a code  version on the limited liability website here:  http://support.arubanetworks.com/LifetimeWarrantySoftware/tabid/121/DMXModule/661/Default.aspx?EntryId=20375

- When you have confirmed that it is upgraded, and rebooted, add the second IAP to the same VLAN.  It should see the first IAP, upgrade or downgrade its code, reboot and then join the cluster in a few minutes.  You should see the second IAP in the first IAP's GUI.  If it does not join, SSH into the second IAP and type "show log system" and "show swarm state" to find out if it sees the first IAP.  It is mandatory that the second IAP is seen by the first IAP before you proceed.  Follow the same procedure for the third IAP.

- When the other two IAPs are seen inthe GUI with the first IAP, you can then start your WLAN configuration.

It is too much trouble to have a full configuration on 3 IAPs and then try to figure out why they cannot see each other.  They need to join a cluster first.  You should not have to manipulate the uplink VLAN...just leave it and the management VLAN or untagged VLAN should be 1 on the IAP side.  All tagged VLANs should match whatever they are on the switch side, however...

• 3.  RE: IAP 225 won't create a cluster

Posted Sep 21, 2017 04:40 AM
    Great will give that a go. Should i upgrade to a specific standard or conservative version?

• 4.  RE: IAP 225 won't create a cluster

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 21, 2017 04:42 AM

The latest standard version should be fine.