Network Management

last person joined: yesterday 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

Posted Feb 06, 2015 11:33 AM

If the answer for my questions is in the manual or guide, please just kindly point me a link.

Airwave Version: 8.2.0.3

IAP Model: IAP109x1, IAP215x2

Question 1: How do I view the the IAP running frimware version on Airwave? I thought it is on the AP monitor page but didnot find any...

Question 2: I have those 2 models in one cluster (one of the IAP215 is the VC). I added firmwaves for each model onto Airwave. However when I come to Groups -> firmware page, it doesnot seem like to list two models but just one instant virtual controller. Plus It only shows the firmware I uploaded for IAP215 is showing in the drop-down. So how can I use airwave to push firmware for multiple models?

• 2.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 06, 2015 12:23 PM

In an IAP cluster, only the Virtual Controller dictates the firmware version of the APs in that cluster (you can't have a VC on different firmware from the APs associated). So in a mixed model cluster, the APs take on the same firmware version as needed for that model (distributed by the AP acting as VC).

You'll find the firmware version on the VC's monitor page.  Type will be 'Aruba Instant Virtual Controller'

2015_02_06-164.jpg

Additionally, you can add the 'version' field into your custom list view.  That way when you look at that group or folder, it will show firmware versions for all devices.

2015_02_06-167.jpg

When upgrading, you only need to select the image for the VC to use, and it will propagate the APs with the correct image.  This is helped if your IAPs have an open tunnel to connect to device.arubanetworks.com (this is the Aruba Activate Image Server).  If there's no access to the image server, then it will defer to images on the AirWave server.  Another avenue to consider is that AirWave can download images from the image server directly (if AirWave has access to the internet/more specifically the image server), the group -> firmware page has an option to update (this fetches list of available images from activate), and then you'll see these images on the device setup -> firmware page as source 'image server; meaning that AirWave downloaded the image from the image server instead of a user manually uploading.

Also worth noting, if you're using IGC, the group's policy needs to be upgraded as well.  This is under Group -> select group -> Instant Config -> (left menu AirWave) -> (right panel) AirWave Settings -> Policy version appears at bottom of page, with option to migrate policy version.

2015_02_06-166.jpg

• 3.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

Posted Feb 06, 2015 12:43 PM

Thanks alot. I now can see the version with the custom list.

However I am not sure I understand the firmware pushing/upgrading via Airwave.

In my scenario, I selected firmware I uploaded for IAP215 from Groups->Firmware page for the instant virtual controller. Then click upgrade. IAP215 will be upgraded to the proper version since the firmware is for the IAP215. What about IAP109? The uploaded firmware will be converted by Airwave/IAP215 magically for IAP109?

OR you are saying that first, I upload firmware for IAP215 to be pushed to VC to IAP215 via airwave; I then upload firmware for IAP109 and Airwave to push to VC, which is an IAP215. The VC is smart enough to know the firmware is not for itself but for the IAP109 in cluster and upgrade the IAP 109 with that firmware?

• 4.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 06, 2015 01:35 PM

I'll have to run some tests to confirm the behavior in house, but the last time I tested Instant firmware upgrades there were 2 behaviors:

1) If images are already uploaded in AirWave, the AP acting as VC downloads and upgrades first, then the APs under it get the image from either the VC (if capable) or AirWave.

2) If no images are on AirWave, then AirWave first downloads images from Activate server (provided outside access is available via firewall), then VC upgrades, and then subordinate APs upgrade.

History Trivia Tidbit: The AP105s didn't have enough memory to hold multiple images which caused for the option of getting image from either VC or AirWave to be introduced.  The AP acting as VC knows when it needs multiple images.

The question we have left for me to find out is whether we only need to provide the VC image or both in the case of a mixed cluster.

• 5.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

Posted Feb 06, 2015 02:15 PM

Thanks, please do let me know the result of your inhouse testing.

• 6.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

Posted Apr 13, 2015 09:40 AM

Thanks m1xed0s for the interesting topic and thanks rgin for your helpful response.

I also have a small question about that topic:

AirWave version 8.0.7

Current Instant version 6.4.2.0-4.1.1.1

Want to upgrade Instant to 6.4.2.3-4.1.1.4

IAP Model: 205 and 215

Design: all the IAP are located in a single group but are spread into several folders which represent the different clusters (buildings). Each clusters contains mixed IAP (205 and 215). I'm using IGC to manage my IAP.

Question: Is it possible to upgrade IAP located inside a single folder without upgrading the entire group? Is there a "Maintenance" menu inside the Instant GUI Config that allow me to upgrade a single cluster inside the group? Or is the AirWave menu "Group > Firmware" the only way to proceed the upgrade when using IGC?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Regards,

• 7.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 13, 2015 04:39 PM

I've got a team member looking into this more closely.

Currently there is a limitation of a single firmware per group.  IGC doesn't allow multiple versions within the same group at this time.  There is an RFE filed to modify this behavior to allow multiple versions in the same group, but that has yet to be implemented/scheduled.

The current workaround is to separate the APs into separate groups and then perform firmware upgrades as well as IGC policy upgrade (in IGC -> under AirWave -> AirWave Settings -> Policy version: x.x.x migrate to (select new version from drop down) -> apply).  Keep in mind that the upgrade of a VC will upgrade all the APs in that Instant cluster.

• 8.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

Posted Apr 14, 2015 05:40 AM

Thanks for this answer that helps me !

• 9.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

Posted Jul 03, 2015 08:49 AM

Good afternoon Rob,

Is AirWave 8.0.8.1 now able to manage different firmware versions inside a single group or is this feature not yet implemented?

Thank you very much for your help,

Regards,

Jérôme

• 10.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

Posted Aug 04, 2015 09:34 PM
      |   view attached

Hey guys, I change the Policy Version of AW for Instant GUI and now I get this on one of my clusters. This is a lab so its my own cluster but its pretty annoying that I can't figure out whats up. 

AW = 8.0.9

VC = 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.7_50209

Policy = 4.2

• 11.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2015 09:36 PM
    Why are you changing it to a 4.2 policy when you’re using 4.1?

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 12.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

Posted Aug 04, 2015 10:16 PM

I thought it was the 6.4.2 portion of it not the 6.4.2.6-4.1.1.7_50209 portion. Hrm, I can roll back, thanks for the help!

• 13.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 04, 2015 10:18 PM

Either way, they're a version mismatch.

6.4.3  //  6.4.2

4.2.0 // 4.1.1

screenshot.png

• 14.  RE: IAP Firmware related questions in Airwave

Posted Apr 17, 2015 02:39 PM

click Modify devices->select VCs(only selecting VCs is OK),  select operation upgrade firmware for selected devices, upgrade. for you want upgrade 4.1.1.x to 4.1.1.x, it is still in IGC version 4.1.1. 

the upgraded devices will be in UP/GOOD status after upgrade complete. 

IAP GUI not allow to upgrade itself in menu maintance when IGC manage them.