Network Management

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Keep an informative eye on your network with HPE Aruba Networking network management solutions
Expand all | Collapse all

Install AirWave from USB Flash Drive

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Install AirWave from USB Flash Drive

Posted Oct 03, 2013 12:27 PM

I am trying to upgrade a client from AirWave 7.6.6 (running on top of CentOS 5) to 7.7.4. The server they use for AirWave has a CD-ROM but no DVD-ROM, so I cannot use the disc I burned to install AirWave. I was able to burn the install image to a USB flash drive, but I am having some issues with the CentOS installation - namely, the installer cannot find the kickstart.cfg file. Has anyone installed AirWave like this before and can point me in the right direction. Thanks a lot.

• 2.  RE: Install AirWave from USB Flash Drive

Posted Oct 03, 2013 01:38 PM

Check this out.  I've used it to boot from USB drives when I don't have a CD 

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

• 3.  RE: Install AirWave from USB Flash Drive

Posted Oct 03, 2013 01:40 PM

I used that just now with the same error. I am trying a different version of AirWave. Will post an update after.

• 4.  RE: Install AirWave from USB Flash Drive

Posted Oct 03, 2013 02:05 PM

Tried installing both 7.6.6 and 7.6.3 using USB flash drive and still no luck. I have used both uneboot and Universal USB Installer to create the bootable USB and no matter what I do I get the same error about not being able to find kickstart.cfg. Looking at the directory of the USB stick, I can see the kickstart.cfg file, but it seems like CentOS is maybe looking for it in the wrong location.

• 5.  RE: Install AirWave from USB Flash Drive

Posted Nov 12, 2013 08:26 PM

Did you ever get this to work?  If not, I'll try it here at the office when I get some free time.

• 6.  RE: Install AirWave from USB Flash Drive
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 19, 2014 12:59 PM
      |   view attached

Hi

better late than never... After several hours of trial, error, and avoidance of the thread http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey, I was able to make this work using the following iso writer, which does some centos specific munging.

iso2usb-v0.7  http://iso2usb.sourceforge.net

It ran fine on Win7 x64, with an Airwave 7.3.5 64bit iso (what i needed) , filled it with the attached datafil.

Note that the server I am using always enumerates the USB as /sda, despite the defaults of iso2usb trying to suggest that you use /sda for the Hard Disk Name.

In the case that you have them back the front (as I did one time), or, your server put the USB at another /sdX entry, you can fix it when you see the error about the kickstart file which it will say should be at hd:sdb1:/ks.cfg , try changing it to hd:sda1:/ks.cfg

In the preceding example, after the : is forward slash ks.cfg,  not a lower case L

hope that is useful

-jeff

• 7.  RE: Install AirWave from USB Flash Drive

Posted Jan 26, 2016 08:25 AM

@jgoff wrote:

Hi

better late than never... After several hours of trial, error, and avoidance of the thread http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/InstallFromUSBkey, I was able to make this work using the following iso writer, which does some centos specific munging.

iso2usb-v0.7  http://iso2usb.sourceforge.net

It ran fine on Win7 x64, with an Airwave 7.3.5 64bit iso (what i needed) , filled it with the attached datafil.

Note that the server I am using always enumerates the USB as /sda, despite the defaults of iso2usb trying to suggest that you use /sda for the Hard Disk Name.

In the case that you have them back the front (as I did one time), or, your server put the USB at another /sdX entry, you can fix it when you see the error about the kickstart file which it will say should be at hd:sdb1:/ks.cfg , try changing it to hd:sda1:/ks.cfg

In the preceding example, after the : is forward slash ks.cfg,  not a lower case L

hope that is useful

-jeff

The ISO2USB utility mentioned above worked perfectly for me installing AirWave ver.8.0.10 on an HP Proliant DL380 Gen9 Server. Simply had to change the USB device name from sdb to sda.

Thanks to jgoff !

• 8.  RE: Install AirWave from USB Flash Drive

Posted May 26, 2017 10:57 AM

The ISO2USB solution worked for me too (finally!) on a Proliant DL20 Gen9

Other things to note:

- burning the ISO to USB took a few tries and a couple of different sticks.  Ultimately it worked on a Patriot 32 GB stick, that I formatted with FAT32 and then did a "Safely Remove Hardware" in windows after finishing the ISO2USB process

- on the Proliant, I had to boot in Legacy mode, not UEFI.  Booting in UEFI mode would just bring up the standard CentOS Grub loader, not the Airwave installer.

- I would recommend making sure that the hardware is supported by Airwave.  Especially RAID controllers, etc.  A lot of servers ship with cheap software RAID controllers that don't have any Linux support.  Also the ONLY RAID support is RAID10, with a minimum of 4 drives.  

In the future, I'm going to do my best to encourage customers to avoid hardware and only install Airwave on a VM platform.